KARACHI: Pakistan has received 72,000 applications for this year’s Hajj pilgrimage under the government scheme, the religious affairs ministry said on Sunday, two days before the expiry of Dec. 10 deadline to submit applications.
Saudi Arabia has allotted Pakistan a total quota of 179,210 pilgrims for the upcoming Hajj pilgrimage, which would be divided equally between the government and private schemes. Around 15 Pakistani banks started receiving applications from intending pilgrims on Nov. 18
The government last week extended the Dec. 3 deadline to submit applications to Dec. 10 to receive applications for 21,000 seats still vacant. All applications received till Dec. 3 have been accepted, including the ones received through the sponsorship scheme.
“Two days are left to enter the government Hajj scheme,” the religious affairs ministry said in a statement. “Designated banks will continue receiving Hajj applications on Monday and Tuesday.”
Last year, Pakistan surrendered 21,000 Hajj seats to Saudi Arabia due to a shortage of applications, but this year the government is hopeful of achieving the required number of applications till December 10.
The religious affairs ministry last month announced the country’s Hajj 2025 policy, allowing pilgrims for the first time to pay Hajj fees in installments.
Under the government scheme, the first installment of Hajj dues, Rs200,000 ($717), must be deposited along with the Hajj application, while a second installment of Rs400,000 ($1,435) has to be deposited within ten days of the balloting. The remaining amount has to be deposited by Feb. 10 next year.
According to the religious affairs ministry, overseas Pakistanis can also sponsor their loved ones for the pilgrimage. The ministry has also launched the “Pak Hajj 2025” mobile application to guide and facilitate pilgrims. The app is available for both Android and iPhone users.
The Pakistani government has also announced a reduction in airfares for Hajj 2025, with a Rs14,000 ($50) drop in ticket prices. Pilgrims enrolled in the federal program will now pay Rs220,000 for airfare, down from last year’s Rs234,000.
National carrier Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), Saudi Airlines and other private airlines have agreed to the relief package, according to the Pakistani government.
Pakistan receives 72,000 applications for government Hajj scheme as Dec. 10 deadline approaches
https://arab.news/v7m98
Pakistan receives 72,000 applications for government Hajj scheme as Dec. 10 deadline approaches
- Saudi Arabia has allotted Pakistan a quota of 179,210 pilgrims for upcoming Hajj pilgrimage
- Pakistan allowed intending pilgrims to pay Hajj fees in installments for the first time this year
Pakistan opposition ends protests, PTI forms ‘Imran Khan Release Force’ for jailed ex-PM
- Opposition alliance ends week-long protests over Khan’s health concerns
- Party announces nationwide membership drive for “peaceful” mobilization
ISLAMABAD: A Pakistani opposition alliance on Wednesday called off nationwide sit-ins held over jailed former prime minister Imran Khan’s health, while his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party announced a new mobilization campaign, including the formation of an “Imran Khan Release Force.”
Pakistan has faced months of political confrontation between Khan’s party and the government since his arrest in 2023, with repeated protests, court battles and accusations by PTI that authorities are attempting to sideline its leader from politics, allegations the government denies.
Tensions have intensified in recent weeks after concerns emerged about Khan’s health in prison. Khan’s lawyer told Pakistan’s Supreme Court last week that the ex-cricketer had lost significant vision in his right eye while in custody, while a medical board said the swelling had reduced after treatment and his vision had improved. Since last week, the Tehreek-i-Tahafuz-i-Ayin-i-Pakistan (TTAP) opposition alliance has been holding a days-long sit-in at Parliament House over Khan’s health concerns.
“All sit-ins including the one at parliament have been called off,” Hussain Ahmad Yousafzai, a spokesperson for the alliance, told Arab News.
Separately, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Muhammad Sohail Afridi told reporters the party was preparing for an organized political movement to demand their leader’s release.
“After continuous violations of court orders, an organized public struggle has now become inevitable,” Afridi said, announcing the creation of an “Imran Khan Release Force,” with membership open to youth across the country.
Afridi said the organization would include PTI’s student, youth, women, minority and professional wings and would conduct a “completely peaceful struggle,” adding that Khan himself would dissolve the body after his release.
He said membership cards would be issued within days and supporters would take oath in Peshawar after Eid, with a formal chain of command operating under leadership designated by Khan.
“This struggle is for real freedom, supremacy of the constitution and law, democracy and free media,” Afridi said.
Imran Khan, 73, a former cricket star who served as prime minister from 2018 to 2022, was removed from office in a parliamentary vote of no confidence that he says was orchestrated by political rivals with backing from the military. Both the government and armed forces deny the allegation.
Khan has been jailed since August 2023 after convictions he and his Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party call politically motivated.
Broadcast outlets have been restricted from airing Khan’s name and speeches or even showing his image. Only a single court photograph has been publicly available since his imprisonment.
PTI swept to power in 2018 and retains a large support base across key provinces.










