The diplomatic push that took Lebanon from Armageddon to ceasefire

A man sits on the rubble of a destroyed house in Baalbek, eastern Lebanon, on Nov. 28, 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 29 November 2024
Follow

The diplomatic push that took Lebanon from Armageddon to ceasefire

  • Lebanese officials had made it clear to the US that Lebanon had little trust in either Washington or Netanyahu, two European diplomats said
  • France had been increasingly critical of Israel’s military campaigns, and Lebanese officials regarded it as a counterweight in talks to the US, the Western diplomat said

PARIS/WASHINGTON/BEIRUT: The ceasefire deal that ended a relentless barrage of Israeli airstrikes and led Lebanon into a shaky peace took shape over weeks of talks and was uncertain until the final hours.
US envoy Amos Hochstein shuttled repeatedly to Beirut and Jerusalem despite the ructions of an election at home to secure a deal that required help from France — and that was nearly derailed by international arrest warrants for Israel’s leaders.
Israel had signalled last month that it had achieved its main war goals in Lebanon by dealing Iran-backed Hezbollah a series of stunning blows, but an agreed truce remained some way off.
A football match, intense shuttle diplomacy and pressure from the United States all helped get it over the line on Tuesday night, officials and diplomats said.
Longstanding enemies, Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting for 14 months since the Lebanese group began firing rockets at Israeli military targets in support of the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
Escalations over the summer drew in Hezbollah’s main patron Iran and threatened a regional conflagration, as Israel refocused its military from the urban ruins of Gaza to the rugged border hills of Lebanon.
Israel stepped up its campaign suddenly in September with its pager attack and targeted airstrikes that killed Hezbollah’s leader and many in its command structure. Tanks crossed the border late on Sept. 30.
With swathes of southern Lebanon in ruins, more than a million Lebanese driven from their homes and Hezbollah under pressure, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu indicated in October there was “a window” for a deal, a senior US administration official said.
Although some in Israel sought a more comprehensive victory and an uninhabited buffer zone in Lebanon, the country was strained by a two-front war that had required many people to leave their jobs to fight as reservists.

DIPLOMACY
“You sometimes get a sense when things get into the final lane, where the parties are not only close, but that the will is there and the desire is there and the stars are aligned,” the senior US administration official said in a briefing.
Officials of the governments of Israel, Lebanon, France and the US who described to Reuters how the agreement came together declined to be identified for this story, citing the sensitivity of the matter.
Hezbollah did not immediately respond to a request for comment about how the deal was negotiated.
In Lebanon, Hezbollah was still fighting but under intense pressure, and newly open to a ceasefire that was not dependent on a truce in Gaza — in effect dropping a demand it had made early in the war.
The Shiite group had in early October endorsed Lebanon’s veteran Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, its longtime ally, to lead negotiations.
With Hochstein shuttling between the countries, meeting Israeli negotiators under Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer and reporting back daily to US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan, France was also in the picture.
Paris had been working with Hochstein on a failed attempt for a truce in September and was still working in parallel to the US
Lebanese officials had made it clear to the US that Lebanon had little trust in either Washington or Netanyahu, two European diplomats said.
France had been increasingly critical of Israel’s military campaigns, and Lebanese officials regarded it as a counterweight in talks to the US, the Western diplomat said.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot visited the region in early November at Israel’s request despite tensions between the countries.
He held long talks with Dermer on the mechanics of a ceasefire with a phased approach to redeployments, with the two delegations poring over maps, two sources aware of the matter said.
As things worsened for Lebanon, there was frustration at the pace of talks. “(Hochstein) told us he needed 10 days to get to a ceasefire but the Israelis dragged it out to a month to finish up military operations,” a Lebanese official said.

VIOLATIONS
The deal was to be based on better implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1701, which ended a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah. Both sides complained of repeated violations of that deal and wanted reassurances.
The main sticking point was Israel’s insistence on a free hand to strike if Hezbollah violated 1701. That was not acceptable to Lebanon.
Eventually Israel and the US agreed a side-deal — verbal assurances according to a Western diplomat — that Israel would be able to respond to threats.
“The two sides keep their right to defend themselves, but we want to do everything to avoid them exercising that right,” a European diplomat said.
Israel was also worried about Hezbollah weapons supplies through Syria. It sent messages to Syrian President Bashar Assad via intermediaries to prevent this, three diplomatic sources said.
It reinforced the message by ramping up air strikes in Syria, including near Russian forces in Latakia province where there is a major port, the three sources said.
“Israel can almost dictate the terms. Hezbollah is massively weakened. Hezbollah wants and needs a ceasefire more than Israel does. This is finishing not due to American diplomacy but because Israel feels it has done what it needs to do,” said a senior Western diplomat.

OBSTACLES The talks intensified as the Nov. 5 US presidential election loomed and reached a turning point after Donald Trump won the vote.
US mediators briefed the Trump team, telling them the deal was good for Israel, good for Lebanon and good for US national security, the senior US administration official said.
A potential new flashpoint endangering the critical role of Paris in the negotiations emerged as an Israeli soccer team traveled to France after violence had engulfed Israeli fans in Amsterdam.
However, with French authorities averting trouble, French President Emmanuel Macron sat next to the Israeli ambassador in the stadium. “The match was so boring that the two spent an hour talking about how to calm tensions between the two allies and move forward,” the source aware of the matter said.
At this key moment the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and former Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant.
Netanyahu threatened to cut France out of any deal if Paris abided by its Rome Statute obligation to arrest him if he went there, three sources said. That could in turn torpedo Lebanese agreement to the truce.
US President Joe Biden phoned Macron, who in turn phoned Netanyahu before Biden and Macron spoke again, the US official said. The Elysee eventually settled on a statement accepting the ICC’s authority but shying away from threats of an arrest.
Over the weekend US officials then ramped up pressure on Israel, with Hochstein warning that if a deal was not agreed within days, he would pull the plug on mediation, two Israeli officials said.
By Tuesday it all came together and on Wednesday the bombs stopped falling.


UK foreign minister urges UN Security Council to confront ‘bitter truth’ of ‘catastrophically failing Sudan’

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

UK foreign minister urges UN Security Council to confront ‘bitter truth’ of ‘catastrophically failing Sudan’

  • Yvette Cooper recounts harrowing stories of atrocities during the country’s civil war, including ‘point-blank executions of civilians’ and sexual violence against women and girls
  • The diplomatic momentum that secured the Gaza ceasefire must now be harnessed to secure peace in Sudan and ensure those guilty of atrocities are held to account, she says

NEW YORK CITY: Britain’s foreign secretary, Yvette Cooper, on Thursday called on the UN Security Council to confront “the bitter truth” that the world has been “catastrophically failing the people of Sudan.”
The UK is chairing the Security Council this month, and Cooper is serving as its president. Setting out the scale of the crisis in Sudan, which has been locked in civil war since April 2023, she cited a report by a fact-finding mission on atrocities in El-Fasher, commissioned by the UK, that was published on Thursday.
She highlighted its accounts of “indiscriminate shootings, point-blank executions of civilians in homes, streets, open areas or while attempting to flee the city.”
In one incident, Cooper said: “A pregnant woman was asked how far she was in her pregnancy. When she responded ‘seven months,’ he fired seven bullets into her abdomen, killing her.”
Hospitals, medical personnel and the wounded “were not spared,” she added, and survivors reported being raped in front of relatives, including children.
The report concluded that the atrocities “bear the hallmarks of genocide,” Cooper said. “El-Fasher should have been a turning point. Instead, the violence now is continuing.”
More than three months after the fall of the city, she said, reports of violations of international humanitarian law and human rights abuses persist. Aid agencies face barriers to access, while schools, hospitals, markets and humanitarian convoys, including those belonging to the World Food Programme, have come under attack.
Since the start of the month alone, she said, there have been reports of strikes on aid operations by both of the warring military factions, the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces.
Cooper described what she had witnessed firsthand during a recent visit to the border between Chad and Sudan, and warned that behind the statistics lie shattered lives.
“At the Chad-Sudan border, in a camp of over 140,000 people who have fled Sudan’s conflict, 85 percent of them are women and children,” she said.
A Sudanese community worker told her she believed “half, more than half, the women in the camp had been subjected to sexual violence,” Cooper revealed.
She recounted the case of “three sisters arriving at one of the Sudanese emergency response rooms, who had all been raped. The oldest sister was 13. The youngest was eight.
“There is a war being waged on the bodies of women and girls. The world must hear the voices of the women of Sudan and not the military men who are perpetuating this conflict; voices that ensure that this council confronts the bitter truth, because the world has been catastrophically failing the people of Sudan.”
She described the conflict as “the worst humanitarian crisis of the 21st Century,” with 33 million people in need of assistance, 14 million forced from their homes, and famine “stalking millions of malnourished children.”
It is also a regional security crisis and a migration crisis, Cooper added, as she warned of destabilization across the Horn of Africa and the Sahel, opportunities for extremist groups to exploit the instability, and the risk of increased migration affecting Europe.
Cooper commended US-led efforts to convene regional powers, including Egypt, the UAE and Saudi Arabia, to discuss peace plans, as well as support from the African Union and the EU.
“We will need pressure from every UN member state,” she said. “I urge all of those with influence on both the RSF and the SAF not to fuel further conflict, but instead to exert maximum pressure on them to halt the bloodshed.”
She warned that “the reason that the military men still convince themselves there is a military solution is because they can still obtain ever-more lethal weapons.”
Arms restrictions “need to be enforced and extended,” Cooper said, adding: “Now is the time to choke off the arms flows and exert tangible pressure for peace.”
She also called for greater accountability, saying it was time for more sanctions against the perpetrators. The UK has already sanctioned senior RSF commanders linked to atrocities in El-Fasher, she said, and joined the US and France in proposing that they be designated by the Security Council.
Recalling the diplomatic momentum behind efforts to secure a ceasefire in Gaza last year, Cooper said: “We need that same energy and determination to bring peace for Sudan so we can
secure an immediate ceasefire, humanitarian truce, and so that those responsible for atrocities are held to account.
“Let this be the time that the world comes together to end the cycle of bloodshed and to pursue a path to peace.”