‘Like I never left this team,’ says Herve Renard ahead of first game back in charge of Saudi Arabia

1 / 5
Saudi Arabia’s coach Herve Renard speaks to the media in Melbourne ahead of the 2026 AFC World Cup qualifier against Australia, Nov. 13, 2024. (AFP)
2 / 5
Herve Renard interacts with players during a training session at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium ahead of the 2026 AFC World Cup qualifier against Australia, Nov. 13, 2024. (AFP)
3 / 5
Herve Renard interacts with players during a training session at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium ahead of the 2026 AFC World Cup qualifier against Australia, Nov. 13, 2024. (AFP)
4 / 5
Saudi Arabia’s coach Herve Renard speaks to the media in Melbourne ahead of the 2026 AFC World Cup qualifier against Australia, Nov. 13, 2024. (AFP)
5 / 5
Herve Renard interacts with players during a training session at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium ahead of the 2026 AFC World Cup qualifier against Australia, Nov. 13, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 November 2024
Follow

‘Like I never left this team,’ says Herve Renard ahead of first game back in charge of Saudi Arabia

  • Herve Renard: ‘We are not in a very good position, but (also) not in a very bad situation as well. So we still have six games to look forward to qualify for the next World Cup, and this is our goal’
  • Green Falcons will have to confront the twin challenge of Australia and Indonesia without talisman Salem Al-Dawsari, who was ruled out with an injury suffered in Al-Hilal’s 3-1 win over Ettifaq

SYDNEY: For the first time in 18 months, Herve Renard strutted into a press conference wearing a tracksuit emblazoned with the distinctive logo of Saudi Arabia and all felt right with the world.

The revered Frenchman returns to Saudi Arabia following the dismissal of Roberto Mancini last month after the Green Falcons’ slow start to World Cup qualifying, with a 2-0 loss to Japan and 0-0 with Bahrain the final straw after a strained 14-month tenure for the decorated Italian manager.

In opting to return to Renard, who oversaw their transformation from a middling nation to one capable of beating Argentina on the biggest stage, Saudi Arabia are hoping the past 18 months can simply disappear as if they never existed and Renard can take over where he left off.

And while most in Saudi Arabia are delighted to see the 56-year-old return, the feeling is also mutual, with Renard telling reporters in Melbourne, where Saudi Arabia play a crunch qualifier against Australia on Thursday night, that he was overjoyed to be back.

“My comeback was a (special) sensation,” he said with a broad smile. “The feeling was like I never left this team. I knew three-quarter of these players. We had a fantastic World Cup qualifiers in 2022 and a very good World Cup as well.”

But while there was more than a whiff of nostalgia in the air as he spoke to the assembled media from both Australia and Saudi Arabia, he was also quick to point out that the past was the past and the mission now is to ensure qualification for 2026, which after four games is looking precarious, with just one win on the board.

The Green Falcons are third in Group C, equal on five points with Australia (second) and Bahrain (fourth), and face the tricky prospect of back-to-back away games against Australia on Thursday and then against Indonesia next Tuesday, who held Saudi Arabia to a 1-1 draw in their first encounter in Jeddah in September.

“We still have a very good memories together, but this is the past. Now we have to look forward for these qualifiers,” he said.

“We are not in a very good position, but (also) not in a very bad situation as well. So we still have six games to look forward to qualify for the next World Cup, and this is our goal.”

They will have to confront the twin challenge of Australia and Indonesia without talisman Salem Al-Dawsari, who was ruled out with an injury suffered in Al-Hilal’s 3-1 win over Ettifaq last weekend.

The timing of the injury to arguably their best and most important player could not have been worse given their struggles to find the back of the net this campaign, with just three goals in four matches — the equal worst record of any of the 18 sides left in this phase of qualifying.

One player who is likely to carry an additional attacking burden in Al-Dawsari’s absence is his former Al-Hilal teammate, Saleh Al-Shehri.

Now with Al-Ittihad, the 31-year-old arrives in camp on the back of impressive form in the Roshn Saudi League. Stepping up in the absence of captain and former Ballon d’Or winner Karim Benzema, Al-Shehri has scored twice in as many games and was confident he and his teammates can cover the absence of the former AFC Player of the Year.

“As a Saudi team, we always have a lot of players that can fill any shoes,” he said.

“So, I think either me or my other colleagues, we’re going to do our best to win this game. On the personal side, I think I’m going to have a good game and hopefully I’m going to score for my team tomorrow.”

With a sold-out crowd expected at Melbourne’s 30,000-capacity AAMI Park, the stakes could not be higher for both teams.

With Japan five points clear on top, Saudi Arabia and Australia are jostling for that second automatic position to guarantee qualification for the tournament in the US, Canada and Mexico, and with both teams level on points, Thursday night’s match could be decisive in determining which nation ultimately progresses.

In football parlance, it is a classic “six-pointer,” a game that neither side can afford to lose.

“It’s a very important game,” Renard said, “but we don’t want to underrate Indonesia (and) Bahrain; (Bahrain) were able to win in Australia.

“We are always talking about Australia (or) Saudi Arabia, but I think it will be a big fight between three or four teams for the second position. So, of course, this game is very important.”

The jovial frivolities of the press conference quickly gave way to the hard reality of why Saudi Arabia were in the cold of southern Australia, with the team getting their first look at Melbourne’s AAMI Park under gray and gloomy skies.

Perhaps that was a portent of what was to come, with news emerging late on Wednesday evening that recalled veteran Salman Al-Faraj had been taken to a nearby hospital for scans after injuring his knee in what could be another blow for Renard after the forced withdrawal of Al-Dawsari.

Time will tell if he will be fit enough to play a part in Thursday’s must-win encounter, but with or without the veteran, you know that with Renard back on the touchline, this Saudi side will put up a fight.


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”