BERLIN: US President-elect Donald Trump on Sunday spoke with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz by phone, Berlin said, adding that they “agreed to work together toward a return to peace in Europe.”
Scholz — mired in a political crisis and facing snap elections sometime in early 2025 — congratulated Trump a second time on his election victory, according to the chancellor’s spokesman Steffen Hebestreit.
“Both exchanged views on the German-American relationship and the current geopolitical challenges,” Hebestreit said in a brief statement.
“The chancellor underlined the government’s willingness to continue the decades-long successful cooperation between the governments of both countries.
“They also agreed to work together toward a return to peace in Europe.”
Trump’s election is seen as carrying the potential to upend the almost three-year Ukraine conflict, as he insists on a quick end to the fighting and casts doubt on Washington’s multi-billion-dollar support for Kyiv.
During his campaign, Trump repeatedly vowed to quickly end the Ukraine war — even before he is sworn into office — but without detailing his thinking.
Trump has spoken to Russian President Vladimir Putin and urged him not to escalate the war in Ukraine, the Washington Post reported earlier Sunday. The president-elect’s representatives did not immediately respond when asked by AFP for comment.
During his last term in the White House, Trump berated NATO ally Germany for what he deemed insufficient defense spending as well as trade and other issues.
Scholz had already congratulated Trump on Wednesday and urged continued close transatlantic ties, telling him in English: “We’re better off together.”
“Together we can achieve much more than against each other,” added the center-left leader of Europe’s biggest economy, who plans to run again in the upcoming elections.
Trump, Scholz agree to work toward ‘return to peace in Europe’
https://arab.news/yu54s
Trump, Scholz agree to work toward ‘return to peace in Europe’
- Scholz underlined his government’s willingness to continue the decades-long successful US-German cooperation, says spokesman
- In their first phone call last week, Scholz told Trump: “We’re better off together. Together we can achieve much more than against each other.”
North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder
- Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
- Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje
SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.









