BEIRUT: The Lebanese health ministry said that Israeli strikes on Sunday killed at least 21 people across southern Lebanon.
Nine people were killed and 38 wounded in a strike on Haret Saida, near the port city of Sidon, the ministry said. At least seven others including a nurse and three rescuers were killed in the southern village of Ain Baal and five in Burj Al-Shemali.
A strike on Haret Saida, about 60 kilometers (37 miles) from the Israeli border, completely destroyed the top floor of a three-story building, according to an AFP correspondent.
Nearby buildings were also damaged. The Lebanese army blocked access to the sector, which has become crowded with people fleeing other areas of south Lebanon since Israel launched its offensive against Hezbollah in September.
AFP’s correspondent said that no warning to evacuate the zone was given before Israel’s strike.
In Ain Baal, the dead included three emergency workers working at a center run by the Al-Riossala Association, a charity linked to the Shiite political party Amal, which is an ally of Hezbollah.
A nurse and three other people who happened to be nearby were also killed, the health ministry said.
Israel’s deadly drone attack at Burj Al-Shemali struck near a school run by the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, according to the municipal chief, quoted by the ANI news agency.
An UNRWA spokesperson said the school was not directly hit in the strike and suffered no casualties.
At least 1,620 people have been killed in the conflict since September 23, according to an AFP tally of health ministry figures.
Lebanon says at least 21 killed in Israeli strikes Sunday in south
https://arab.news/cne6e
Lebanon says at least 21 killed in Israeli strikes Sunday in south
- Israel’s deadly drone attack at Burj Al-Shemali struck near a school run by the UN agency for Palestinian refugees
- At least 1,620 people have been killed in the Israeli-Hezbollah conflict in Lebanon since September 23
Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east
BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president on Saturday condemned deadly Israeli attacks on his country carried out a day prior, the latest despite a ceasefire with militant group Hezbollah.
In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts” by the United States and other nations to establish stability.
A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.
Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group’s Palestinian ally Hamas.
The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.
Israel’s military said it struck “several terrorists of Hezbollah’s missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area.”
Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group “will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee.”
He called on Beirut to “suspend the committee’s meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks.”
Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.
Lebanon’s government last year committed to disarming the group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.
Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army’s progress on disarming the militant group insufficient.











