Manchester City accuse Premier League of ‘misleading’ claims after legal case

Manchester City said the tribunal had declared the associated party transaction rules ‘unlawful’ and that the league had abused a dominant position under competition law. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 08 October 2024
Follow

Manchester City accuse Premier League of ‘misleading’ claims after legal case

  • The Premier League champions launched a legal challenge to the regulations earlier this year on the grounds that they breached competition law

LONDON: Manchester City have accused the Premier League of a “misleading” response following a legal case concerning rules governing commercial deals.
City wrote to the other 19 Premier League clubs and the league late Monday to challenge the league’s interpretation of the outcome, saying their position was that all the associated party transaction (APT) rules were now void.
The Premier League champions launched a legal challenge to the regulations earlier this year on the grounds that they breached competition law.
The APT rules are designed to ensure commercial deals with entities linked to a club’s owners reflect fair market value and are not artificially inflated.
The Premier League champions and the Premier League both claimed victory on Monday after the publication of a decision of an arbitration panel.
The English top flight said in its summary that City were “unsuccessful in the majority of (their) challenge” and that the tribunal considering the case had determined the APT rules were necessary and pursued a legitimate objective.
But City, in their own statement, said the tribunal had declared the APT rules “unlawful” and that the league had abused a dominant position under competition law.
The club’s general counsel, Simon Cliff, in his letter to the other clubs, said: “Regrettably, the (Premier League) summary is misleading and contains several inaccuracies.”
“Of even greater concern, however, is the Premier League’s suggestion that new APT rules should be passed within the next 10 days,” he said in an email, according to Britain’s PA news agency and the BBC.
“When the Premier League consulted on and proposed the original APT Rules in late 2021, we pointed out that the process (which took several weeks) was rushed, ill-thought-out and would result in rules that were anti-competitive. The recent award has validated those concerns entirely.
“The tribunal has declared the APT rules to be unlawful. MCFC’s position is that this means that all of the APT rules are void, and have been since 2021.”
Cliff told the other clubs that it was “peculiar” that the league had said in its summary that City were unsuccessful in the majority of their challenge.
“While it is true that MCFC did not succeed with every point that it ran in its legal challenge, the club did not need to prove that the APT rules are unlawful for lots of different reasons,” he wrote.
“It is enough that they are unlawful for one reason. In the event, the tribunal found the APT rules are unlawful for three different sets of reasons.”
The Premier League said changes to the rules arising from the tribunal judgment could be made “quickly and effectively” and is understood to have called a clubs meeting to discuss making those changes.
But Cliff warned against a “kneejerk reaction,” saying it could lead to further legal proceedings.
The Premier League declined to comment but stands by its summary and rejects any assertion that it was either inaccurate or misleading.
The case is separate from an ongoing hearing involving City, with the club fighting 115 charges relating to alleged breaches of Premier League financial rules.


Dubai Basketball clinch ABA League playoff qualification

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Dubai Basketball clinch ABA League playoff qualification

  • The 100-82 victory over Bosna BH Telecom came in Round 1 of the ABA League Top 8

DUBAI: Dubai Basketball delivered a commanding 100-82 victory over Bosna BH Telecom in Round 1 of the ABA League Top 8, securing qualification to the playoffs and becoming the first team to confirm their place post the ABA League second phase.

Hosting Bosna for the first time in the city, Dubai entered the second phase of the competition at the top of the Top 8 standings and reinforced their position with one of their most complete performances of the season, combining offensive balance with sustained defensive control.

The opening quarter set the tone. Dubai established early control through assertive offensive execution and disciplined half-court defence, keeping the game largely in the visitors’ half. Dzanan Musa found rhythm midway through the period, while Mfiondu Kabengele imposed himself physically inside. Although Bosna managed to reduce the deficit to four points late in the quarter, Dubai’s structure ensured they closed the first 10 minutes with the advantage.

Head coach of Dubai, Jurica Golemac, commented on the teams’ performance, saying, “It was a very difficult game to play after these trips. Bosna is a very good team, and the result doesn’t show the real face of the game. They fought well, and we needed to play a really strong game to win. In the end, I’m happy that we made it.”

“It’s great that we are under pressure. That means we are standing well in February and that we achieved something. But we are looking game by game, putting pressure on ourselves because we know we can play with everybody if we are 100 percent focused and 100 percent together.”

Bosna responded in the second quarter, with Michael Lamor Young Jr. making a significant impact and helping the visitors find improved flow offensively. Despite occasional defensive breakdowns that allowed Bosna to penetrate, many of the visitors’ attempts fell short under pressure. A timely three-pointer from Aleksa Avramovic steadied Dubai, and improved ball movement exposed gaps in Bosna’s coverage. The hosts capitalized by stretching the margin to 10 points, taking a 45–35 lead as their cohesion began to separate the sides.

The third quarter presented Bosna’s strongest push. The visitors opened the half with renewed intensity, briefly narrowing the gap behind a productive spell from Young again. However, Dubai’s physicality and versatility proved decisive. Kabengele’s ability to stretch the floor, combined with continued interior control, prevented Bosna from sustaining momentum. By the end of the period, Dubai had rebuilt a 12-point cushion and regained full command of the contest.

Bosna entered the final quarter with resilience, but Dubai’s offensive consistency ensured the lead never fell to a threatening margin, ultimately winning over the Bosnian side with an 18-point difference.

Kabengele led the scoring charge with 21 points, anchoring Dubai’s offensive production. Bosnia’s own Dzanan Musa added 15, while McKinley Wright contributed 13. The result strengthens Dubai’s position at the top of the standings and confirms their progression into the playoff stage as the ABA League season moves toward its decisive phase.

Dubai’s next home game marks another EuroLeague night as the fight for the playoffs intensifies. Following an away win against Milan, the team now sits in 11th place — just one spot shy of a Play-In berth.