Hamas armed wing vows ‘long war of attrition’ against Israel

A woman walks past posters depicting Yahya Sinwar (L), the head of the political wing of the Palestinian Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip, and Abu Obeida (R), the masked spokesman of the Qassam Brigades (Hamas' armed wing), plastered on a wall in the Burj Al-Barajneh camp for Palestinian refugees in Beirut's southern suburb on February 5, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 07 October 2024
Follow

Hamas armed wing vows ‘long war of attrition’ against Israel

  • Israel has killed more than 41,900 Palestinians while also displacing nearly the entire population of 2.3 million, causing a hunger crisis and leading to genocide accusations that Israel denies

DOHA, Qatar: Hamas’s armed wing vowed on Monday, the anniversary of the militant group’s October 7 attack on Israel, to keep fighting what it described as a “long war of attrition.”
“We choose to keep up the fight in a long war of attrition, one that is painful and costly for the enemy,” said Abu Obeida, spokesman of the militant group’s armed wing.
He also warned that scores of people taken hostage into Gaza on October 7 last year were enduring a “very difficult” situation.
He said the “psychological and health condition of the remaining hostages has become very difficult.”
His statement, broadcast on Al Jazeera, came as Israel marked the anniversary of the worst attack in its history.
The attack resulted in the deaths of 1,206 people, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.
Militants took 251 people hostage into Gaza, and 97 are still being held in there, including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.
 

 


Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM

  • More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers urge Jean-Noel Barrot to retract ‘inaccurate’ comments about Albanese
  • UN expert says claims she referred to Israel as a “common enemy” are completely false
PARIS: More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers on Wednesday urged France’s foreign minister to retract “inaccurate” comments about a UN expert on Palestinians rights who he wants to resign.
France and Germany have called for Francesca Albanese to step down over remarks in which she referred to a “common enemy of humanity” after criticizing “most of the world” and the media for enabling Israel’s “genocide” in Gaza.
Critics and Israel have accused the UN Special Rapporteur of referring to Israel as a “common enemy,” while Albanese has denounced this as a “manipulation” and “completely false.”
In response to a question about the comments, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on February 11 told parliament she should step down.
In an open letter sent to AFP, the former diplomats criticized what they called “the use of inaccurate and manipulated elements to discredit a holder of an independent UN mandate.”
They called on Barrot to “retract his inaccurate statements about Ms Albanese and correct them.”
“This controversy must not divert attention from the massacres of civilians, nor from the humanitarian crisis and the massive human rights violations taking place in Gaza,” said the signatories.
The letter, written in French, was signed by mostly former foreign ministers and diplomats from the Netherlands.
More than a dozen current members of parliament and senators from Europe were also among the signatories, along with a former foreign minister of South Africa.
Albanese had spoken via videoconference at a forum in Doha on February 7 organized by the Al Jazeera network.
“The fact that instead of stopping Israel, most of the world has armed, given Israel political excuses, political sheltering, economic and financial support — this is a challenge,” she had said.
Albanese said that “international law has been stabbed in the heart” but added that there is an opportunity since “we now see that we as a humanity have a common enemy.”