Mohammad Yousuf steps down as Pakistan cricket selector

Selectors for Pakistan’s cricket team Wahab Riaz (R) and Mohammad Yousuf announce the squad for the upcoming Twenty20 international series in Ireland and England later this month during a press conference in Lahore on May 2, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 29 September 2024
Follow

Mohammad Yousuf steps down as Pakistan cricket selector

  • Yusuf’s resignation comes days after Pakistan named national squad for first Test against England in October 
  • He was named to selection panel earlier this year before Pakistan’s disappointing T20 World Cup performance

ISLAMABAD: Mohammad Yousuf resigned as Pakistan cricket selector on Sunday due to personal reasons.

Yousuf’s resignation came only five days after Pakistan named its squad for the first test against England, starting at Multan on Oct. 7. Yousuf was one of the four members of the selection committee that also includes former test cricketer Asad Shafiq, test head coach Jason Gillespie and test captain Shan Masood.

“I announce my resignation as a selector for the Pakistan cricket team due to personal reasons,” Yousuf wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. “Serving this incredible team has been a profound privilege, and I am proud to have contributed to the growth and success of Pakistan Cricket.”

Yousuf was named to the selection panel earlier this year, but Pakistan had little success, making an early exit from the T20 World Cup where it lost group matches against arch-rival India and co-host United States. Bangladesh also registered a historic 2-0 win when it swept Pakistan in the two-test series.

Later, the Pakistan Cricket Board said that Yousuf had voluntarily stepped down from his role as a member of the national selection committee to focus on other key responsibilities within the PCB.

“The PCB expresses its sincere gratitude to Mohammad Yousuf for his invaluable contributions during his tenure as a selection committee member,” the PCB said in a statement.

“Yousuf will continue to play a pivotal role at the PCB, sharing his extensive knowledge and experience as the batting coach at the high performance center.”


Pakistan arrests woman suspected of planning suicide attack in northwest

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan arrests woman suspected of planning suicide attack in northwest

  • Police say suspect had training and links to a banned militant organization
  • Arrest comes amid a renewed surge in militant violence in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s counterterrorism police announced the arrest of a young female suicide bomber in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province on Saturday, saying they have seized a pistol, communication devices and other materials from her possession.

The arrest was made in Dera Ismail Khan district amid a renewed surge in militant violence in KP, where security forces have faced frequent attacks in recent years. Islamabad has blamed the spike on cross-border militancy from neighboring Afghanistan, accusing the administration in Kabul of “facilitating” assaults against civilians and security personnel.

The allegation has been denied by the Afghan Taliban.

The Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) said it acted on intelligence in the Sheikh Yousaf tent settlement area of the district, where a special weapons and tactics team conducted a raid and detained the suspect.

“The arrested suicide attacker was the right-hand woman of the deceased khariji Shah Wali, also known as Tariq Kochi, and had continued to receive training from him,” the CTD said in a statement.

“The equipment and target for the suicide attack were to be provided by khariji commander Asim, according to the alleged confession of the suspected female suicide attacker,” it added.

Pakistani authorities refer to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants as “khariji,” a term drawn from Islamic history for an extremist sect that rebelled against authority and declared other Muslims apostates.

The statement, which identified the suspect only by the initial “Z,” said she was a resident of Waziristan.

The CTD said a pistol with ammunition, two mobile phones, a tablet device, a power bank and other materials were recovered from the site.

It added that information extracted from the suspect’s mobile phones indicated contact with a proscribed group and preparations linked to a potential suicide bombing.

Female suicide bombers are relatively rare in Pakistan, though separatist militants in Balochistan have used women in recent attacks, including coordinated gun and bomb assaults across multiple districts in the southwestern province last month.

Recent attacks in KP have included suicide bombings, assaults on security checkpoints, police stations and paramilitary facilities, as well as kidnappings of government officials.