Pakistani police responsible for killing doctor accused of blasphemy — provincial government

The undated file photo of Dr. Shah Nawaz Kumbhar. (Photo courtesy: X/@MushRajpar)
Short Url
Updated 27 September 2024
Follow

Pakistani police responsible for killing doctor accused of blasphemy — provincial government

  • This marks first time government has accused security forces of extrajudicial killing of a blasphemy suspect 
  • Provincial home minister says doctor was killed in staged “fake encounter” shortly after he gave himself up to authorities 

MULTAN: The provincial government in Pakistan’s Sindh province said on Thursday police had orchestrated the killing of a doctor who was in custody after he was accused of blasphemy, marking the first time the government has accused security forces of what the doctor’s family and rights groups have called an extrajudicial killing by police.

According to the provincial interior minister, Ziaul Hassan, a government probe concluded that Shah Nawaz, a doctor from Sindh province, was killed shortly after he gave himself up to authorities in what was a staged “fake encounter” engineered by security forces.

There was no shootout with armed men as police had claimed, Hassan told reporters at a news conference in the southern port city of Karachi, and added that Nawaz’s family would be able to file murder charges against the police officers who killed him.

Hours after Nawaz was fatally shot and his body handed over to his family, a mob snatched it from Nawaz’s father and burned it.

Hassan’s statement backed up Nawaz’s family’s allegations earlier this week that officers had lied about the circumstances of his death when they said he was killed in a shootout between police and armed men.

Shah Nawaz had given himself up to police last week in the district of Mirpur Khas, following assurances that he would be given a chance to prove his innocence.

Days earlier in the city of Umerkot, a mob claimed he had insulted Islam’s Prophet Muhammad and shared blasphemous content on social media, and demanded his arrest. The mob also burned Nawaz’s clinic.

Accusations of blasphemy — sometimes even just rumors — can spark riots and mob rampages in Pakistan. Although killings of blasphemy suspects by mobs are common, extra-judicial killings by police are rare.

Under Pakistan’s controversial blasphemy laws, anyone found guilty of insulting Islam or Islamic religious figures can be sentenced to death — though authorities have yet to carry out a death sentence for blasphemy.

Nawaz’s father thanked the government for backing the family and demanded that his son’s killers face justice under the eye-for-an-eye concept under Sharia, or Islamic law.

“We have only one demand: those police officers who staged the killing of my son ... must also be killed in the same manner,” said Nawaz’s father, Mohammad Saleh.

Saleh told The Associated Press over the phone that he was grateful for all the support that the family was given and to all those who condemned extremist clerics who had enraged the mob with calls for his son to be killed.

“Those who killed my son should be punished quickly so that others learn a lesson and not indulge in extra-judicial killings in the future,” Nawaz’s mother, Rehmat Kunbar, said. 

She added that her son can no longer come back to her but that she wanted to save the children of other parents from the hands of “extremists.”

Nawaz’s killing was the second case of an extra-judicial killing by police this month in Pakistan.

A week before, an officer opened fire inside a police station in the southwestern city of Quetta, fatally wounding Syed Khan, a suspect held on accusations of blasphemy.

Khan was arrested after officers rescued him from an enraged mob that claimed he had insulted Islam’s prophet. But he was killed by a police officer, Mohammad Khurram, who was quickly arrested. 

However, the tribe and the family of the slain man later said they had pardoned the officer.


Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

  • Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further 
  • Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them

COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.

India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.

A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.

It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.

“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.

“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.

“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”

Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.

“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.

“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”

Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.

“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.

Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.

“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”

Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.