Pakistan court grants bail to ex-PM Khan’s party lawmakers arrested after Islamabad rally— lawyer

A van carrying arrested Members of Parliament (MPs) leave an anti-terrorism court in Islamabad on September 10, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 16 September 2024
Follow

Pakistan court grants bail to ex-PM Khan’s party lawmakers arrested after Islamabad rally— lawyer

  • Police arrested lawmakers last week on charges of violating law on public gatherings with Sept. 8 rally in Islamabad 
  • Ex-PM Khan’s party, which says it has faced crackdown since his ouster in 2022, will hold next rally on Sept. 22 in Lahore

ISLAMABAD: An anti-terror court in Pakistan’s capital on Monday granted bail to 10 lawmakers and members of jailed former prime minister Imran Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, after they were arrested last week on charges of violating a new law to regulate public gatherings, their lawyer confirmed. 

Pakistani police arrested several PTI MPs Sher Afzal Khan, Malik Muhammad Aamir Dogar, Muhammad Ahmad Chattha, Makhdoom Zain Hussain Qureshi, Waqas Akram, Zubair Khan Wazir, Awais Haider Jakhar, Syed Shah Ahad Ali Shah, Nasim Ali Shah, and Yousaf Khan on late Monday night and Tuesday. The legislators were charged with violating the Peaceful Assembly and Public Order Act by holding a rally in Islamabad on Sept. 8. The PTI said a number of the lawmakers were arrested while they were inside the parliament, triggering protests and condemnation from the party. 

The party had held the rally to demand the release of Khan, who has been in prison since August last year, facing a slew of cases. The Islamabad administration had allowed the PTI to hold the rally from 4pm till 7pm, but it went on until around 11pm. Though the gathering was mostly peaceful, a policeman was injured in clashes between police and PTI supporters en route to the rally.

On Friday, the Islamabad High Court (IHC) suspended the physical remand of the lawmakers that had been issued by the anti-terror court. 

“By the grace of god, all our MNAs have been granted bail,” Naeem Haider Panjutha, a PTI lawyer, wrote on social media platform X. “The court has ordered their immediate release.”

According to international news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP), the lawmakers were granted bail upon the submission of surety bonds worth Rs30,000 [$100]. 

Following the arrests, the National Assembly speaker opened an inquiry into the incident on Tuesday, citing that under Pakistani law, legislators cannot be detained from within the precincts of the parliament without the speaker’s permission.

Khan’s party alleges it has faced an over a year-long crackdown since protesters allegedly linked to the party attacked and damaged government and military installations on May 9, 2023 after Khan’s brief arrest that day in a land graft case.

Hundreds of PTI followers and leaders were arrested following the riots and many remain behind bars as they await trial. The military, which says Khan and his party were behind the attacks, has also initiated army court trials of at least 103 people accused of involvement in the violence.

Khan, who is in jail since last August, was ousted from the PM’s office in 2022 in a parliamentary vote of no confidence after what is widely believed to be a falling out with Pakistan’s powerful military, which denies being involved in politics.

Since his removal, Khan and his party have waged an unprecedented campaign of defiance against the military and now the PTI is aiming to mobilize the public through rallies to call for their leader’s release from jail in “politically motivated” cases.

The party’s next rally is planned for Sept. 22 in the eastern city of Lahore. 


Pakistan reassures investors after Barrick announces review of Reko Diq project after attacks

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan reassures investors after Barrick announces review of Reko Diq project after attacks

  • Mining giant announced it would reassess all aspects of project after coordinated Jan. 30-31 assaults killed 58 in Balochistan
  • Copper-gold project’s development long overshadowed by decades-long separatist insurgency in remote province

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has assured foreign investors it has the “capacity and capability” to secure the multibillion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said on Monday after Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation ordered a review of the project following deadly separatist attacks in the province last month.

The mining giant announced it would reassess all aspects of the project after coordinated Jan. 30-31 assaults by the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) killed 36 civilians and 22 security personnel across multiple districts of the remote southwestern province. Pakistani authorities say 216 militants were killed in follow-up operations.

The Reko Diq mine, one of the world’s largest undeveloped copper and gold deposits, is a cornerstone of Pakistan’s efforts to attract foreign investment and expand mineral exports after a prolonged economic crisis. Islamabad hopes the mines will generate $70 billion in free cash flow and $90 billion in operating cash flow. The project, expected to begin production in 2028, is jointly owned by Barrick Gold and the governments of Pakistan and Balochistan.

The project’s development, however, has repeatedly been overshadowed by security concerns in Balochistan, a sparsely populated province bordering Iran and Afghanistan that has faced a decades-long insurgency in which separatist groups target security forces, infrastructure and projects linked to foreign investment. Militants accuse the state of exploiting local resources without benefiting residents, an allegation the government denies.

“Of course, the government of Balochistan is concerned [about security], it’s not that they aren’t,” Bugti told Arab News in an interview in Islamabad.

“Barrick Gold has a very large investment and we have other international partners in that [Reko Diq mining project]. We want to assure them through your platform as well and also when our meetings will take place that we have the capacity and capability to protect our foreign investors.

“The state is intact, the government is intact. There is a functional government, there is a functional state in Balochistan.”

Bugti said authorities were redesigning security arrangements for the project, including raising a dedicated protection force in mineral-bearing areas and strengthening border controls. However, he acknowledged that attacks affected investor confidence.

“Yes, [attacks] do make a dent, when your country or province takes off [economically],” he said. “It does impact the perception.”

However, Bugti refused to describe the coordinated January attacks as a “security failure.”

“A security failure is when the [army’s] corps headquarters is captured ... when someone seizes control of the biggest cantonment in Quetta, or for that matter, captures our IG [Inspector-General of Police] headquarters, or the IG FC [Frontier Corps] headquarters, you call it a security failure,” the chief minister said. 

“I say it was a success of security forces that within hours, as I told you, other than Nushki, everything was clear.” 

The minister accused Pakistan’s neighbor and archival India of supporting insurgent groups in Balochistan, an allegation New Delhi has repeatedly denied.

“What evidence do you need? Kulbhushan Jadhav was not here to sell chickpeas. It is on record that he was an intelligence officer who came to support Baloch insurgents, and the way he was arrested highlighted this,” he said.

Jadhav is an Indian national arrested by Pakistan in 2016 and convicted by a military court on espionage charges. India disputes the allegations and challenged the case at the International Court of Justice, which ordered Pakistan to review the conviction but did not rule on guilt or innocence.

Ultimately, Bugti said long-term stability in Balochistan depended on pursuing economic development alongside security operations.

“See there is a development paradigm and the security paradigm. Both should be carried forward together,” he said. 

“My vision is that meritocracy and an anti-corruption drive are key to success in Balochistan.”