US urges Israel to conclude probe into killing of American activist in West Bank

A Palestinian honor guard carries the body of Aysenur Ezgi Eygi, 26, who a witness says was fatally shot by Israeli soldiers while participating in an anti-settlement protest in the West Bank, during her funeral procession in the West Bank city of Nablus, Monday, Sept. 9, 2024. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 09 September 2024
Follow

US urges Israel to conclude probe into killing of American activist in West Bank

  • WAFA said the incident took place during a regular protest march by activists in Beita, village near Nablus that has seen attacks on Palestinians by Jewish settlers

WASHINGTON: The United States called on Israel on Monday to complete a full inquiry into the killing of an American Turkish woman last week in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, saying it believes Israel has begun such a probe.
Turkish and Palestinian officials said on Friday that Israeli troops shot 26-year-old Aysenur Ezgi Eygi, who had been taking part in a protest against settlement expansion.
“Our understanding is that our partners in Israel are looking into the circumstances of what happened, and we expect them to make their findings public, and expect that whatever those findings are, expect them to be thorough and transparent,” US State Department deputy spokesperson Vedant Patel told a news briefing.
White House national security spokesperson John Kirby later said Israel was understood to be “moving swiftly on this investigation” and was expected to present its findings and conclusions in the coming days.
Palestinian news agency WAFA said the incident took place during a regular protest march by activists in Beita, a village near Nablus that has seen repeated attacks on Palestinians by Jewish settlers.
Israel’s military said it was looking into reports that a female foreign national “was killed as a result of shots fired in the area. The details of the incident and the circumstances in which she was hit are under review.”
Patel and Kirby did not provide further information on the circumstances of the killing and said Washington would withhold judgment until Israel presents its findings.
Turkiye’s President Tayyip Erdogan condemned Eygi’s death, saying in a post on social media that Turkiye “will continue to work in every platform to halt Israel’s policy of occupation and genocide.” Israel denies its actions in occupied Palestinian territories amount to genocide.
A rise in violent attacks by Israeli settlers on Palestinians in the West Bank has stirred anger among Western allies of Israel, including the United States, which has imposed sanctions on some Israelis involved in the settler movement.
Since the 1967 Middle East war, Israel has occupied the West Bank of the Jordan River, which Palestinians want as the core of an independent state.
Israel has built settlements there that most countries deem illegal. Israel disputes that assertion, citing historical and biblical ties to the land.


Israel committed atrocity crimes in Gaza, UN report says

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Israel committed atrocity crimes in Gaza, UN report says

  • It found that Israel’s actions had imposed “conditions of life increasingly incompatible with Palestinians’ ‌continued existence as a group in Gaza“
GENEVA: Israeli forces committed serious violations of ​international humanitarian law in Gaza and carried out atrocity crimes, a UN report published on Thursday said.
Intensified Israeli attacks and the forcible transfer of Palestinians appeared aimed at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza “raising concerns over ethnic cleansing,” the report by the UN human rights office said.
The holding and mistreatment of hostages by the Hamas Islamist militant group may amount to war crimes, it said.
Israel’s permanent mission in Geneva dismissed the report’s findings about Israel’s actions, and said in a statement that the UN human rights office had lost its credibility.
“Office of the High Commissioner is ‌engaged in a ‌vicious campaign of demonization and disinformation against the State of Israel,” it ​said.
Hamas ‌did ⁠not immediately ​respond ⁠to requests for comment.
ETHNIC CLEANSING CONCERNS
The 17-page report investigated events in Gaza from November 2024 to October 31, 2025.
It found that Israel’s actions had imposed “conditions of life increasingly incompatible with Palestinians’ ‌continued existence as a group in Gaza,” the report said.
Famine ‌found in some parts of Gaza last August by a ​global hunger monitor and malnutrition resulted directly from ‌Israel’s actions, the report said.
Militarised distribution centers run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) backed by Israel ‌and the United States “failed utterly” to deliver humanitarian aid at the scale required, violating Israel’s obligations under international humanitarian law, it said.
Israeli practices in Gaza and the occupied West Bank indicated an accelerating effort to consolidate the annexation of large parts of occupied Palestinian territory, with unlawful use of force by Israeli security forces, the report said.
“During ‌the reporting period, intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighborhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic ⁠shift in Gaza,” it ⁠said.
“This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank.”