Three civilians injured as Ukraine shells Belgorod region, governor says

Firefighters work outside buildings that are on fire following shelling, what local authorities called a Ukrainian military strike, in the course of Russia-Ukraine conflict in Shebekino in the Belgorod region, Russia, in this handout picture published September 5, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 07 September 2024
Follow

Three civilians injured as Ukraine shells Belgorod region, governor says

  • Belgorod has come under frequent shelling and drone attacks from Ukraine in the course of the war

MOSCOW: Three civilians were injured in Russia’s Belgorod region after Ukrainian shells hit the town of Shebekino, the regional governor said on Saturday.
“Ambulance crews brought a woman in serious condition with shrapnel wounds to the back and thigh and a man with a shrapnel wound to the chest to the regional clinical hospital,” Vyacheslav Gladkov, the regional governor, said in a post on his Telegram channel.
A third person was taken to hospital with a shrapnel wound to the thigh, he said, adding that two houses and four outbuildings caught fire.
Reuters could not independently confirm the report.
Belgorod has come under frequent shelling and drone attacks from Ukraine in the course of the war. It is next to the Kursk region, a large swath of which is occupied by Ukrainian forces following a cross-border attack last month.


Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire

HONG KONG: Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy ​out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire that killed more than 160 in November, authorities said on Saturday.
The prices offered ‌will be HK$8,000 ‌per sq. ​ft. ‌without ⁠a land ​premium payment, ⁠and HK$10,500 per sq. ft for those receiving such a payment, officials in the Asian financial hub told a media briefing.
“We believe the proposed ⁠price is sufficient for ‌the affected ‌residents to relocate and ​secure long-term ‌housing,” said Wong Wai-lun, Hong ‌Kong’s deputy financial secretary.
The government also offered an apartment exchange program for the 4,600 affected tenants, who ‌lived in nearly 2,000 housing units at the complex, ⁠Wang ⁠Fuk Court.
The total outlay, estimated at HK$6.8 billion, will drop by HK$2.8 billion from a contribution by a relief fund, and could go lower still after insurance compensation in factored in, the officials said. ($1=7.8148 Hong Kong dollars)