Central London site revealed for Queen Elizabeth II memorial

Britain's Prince Charles, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Queen Elizabeth, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Prince William, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Anne stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace as they watch a fly past to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force in central London, Britain. (File/Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 07 September 2024
Follow

Central London site revealed for Queen Elizabeth II memorial

  • The site is close to the ceremonial route of The Mall and to the Buckingham Palace home of her son King Charles III
  • It is also near statues of her parents King George VI and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother

LONDON: A national memorial to Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II will be located in London’s St. James’s Park, which holds “historical and constitutional significance and personal connection” to the late monarch, the UK government said Saturday.
The site is close to the ceremonial route of The Mall and to the Buckingham Palace home of her son King Charles III.
It is also near statues of her parents King George VI and Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
“The memorial is intended to provide not only a fitting monument but also a space for contemplation and community, and will be of an appropriate scale and ambition to match the impact of Queen Elizabeth II on national life, The Commonwealth and indeed the rest of the world,” said the government.
There will be other memorial projects in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer said that the queen’s “enduring legacy of service and devotion to our country will never be forgotten.
“The national memorial will be located in St. James’s Park, right in the heart of the capital, providing everyone with a place to honor the Late Queen and connect with the shared history we cherish,” he added.
Sunday marks the two-year anniversary of the death of Elizabeth, who spent a record 70 years and 214 days on the throne.


Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Bus with Chinese tourists crashes through ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing 8

  • One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus
  • The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse

MOSCOW: A tour bus carrying Chinese tourists plunged through the ice on Russia’s Lake Baikal, killing eight people, officials said.
One of the Chinese tourists managed to escape from the bus, which was crossing the frozen lake on Friday, Irkutsk regional Gov. Igor Kobzev wrote in a Telegram post on Saturday. He said the dead included seven Chinese tourists and the driver.
The bus plunged into a 3-meter (10-foot) -wide ice crevasse, Russia’s Emergencies Ministry reported. The lake is 18 meters (59 feet) deep at the site of the accident, it said. The ministry said rescuers used underwater cameras before embarking on a diving operation.
The regional prosecutor’s office said a criminal probe had been opened. The Irkutsk tourism office reported on Saturday that the bus tour had been run by an unregistered operator.
Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest freshwater lake, is one of Russia’s key tourism attractions. Numbers of Chinese visitors to the country soared in recent years, after Moscow and Beijing introduced a mutual visa-free regime.