Israeli man killed in attack in West Bank settlement: hospital

Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva, Israel. (Photo/Ynhockey via Wikipedia)
Short Url
Updated 18 August 2024
Follow

Israeli man killed in attack in West Bank settlement: hospital

  • The attack came 3 days after Jewish settlers raided the Palestinian village of Jit, killing one resident
  • Since unprecedented attack on Israel by Hamas on October 7, violence has flared in the West Bank

JERUSALEM: An attack at a Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank on Sunday killed an Israeli man, a hospital said, three days after a deadly raid by settlers on a nearby Palestinian village.
“After several attempts to save his life, doctors had to declare the death of a man who was fatally wounded in an attack in Samaria (occupied West Bank),” the Beilinson Hospital said in a statement.
The Israeli military said a “terrorist” had “attacked a civilian, stole his weapon and made his escape” in the Kedumim settlement, in the northern West Bank.
Local officials identified the victim as a resident of the settlement which is close to the village of Jit, which was attacked by Jewish settlers on August 15.

According to the Palestinian health ministry, a 23-year-old Palestinian man was killed and another wounded in the attack.
Residents said about 100 settlers armed with knives and firearms set fire to cars and homes in the attack strongly condemned by Israeli officials as well as the United States, United Nations and European countries.
Since Hamas’s unprecedented attack on Israel on October 7, violence has flared in the West Bank, a Palestinian territory occupied by Israel since 1967 and separated geographically from Gaza by Israeli territory.
Settlements in the West Bank are considered illegal under international law.
Since October 7, at least 635 Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank by Israeli troops or settlers, according to an AFP count based on Palestinian official figures.
During the same period, at least 19 Israelis, including soldiers, have been killed in Palestinian attacks, according to Israeli official figures.

 

 


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.