Somalia executes 10 Al-Shabab insurgents

A Somalian police officer looks at debris and destruction at a cafe in Mogadishu on July 15, 2024 following a car bomb blast. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 August 2024
Follow

Somalia executes 10 Al-Shabab insurgents

  • Al Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab insurgents have been fighting for nearly two decades, aiming to topple Somalia’s central government

MOGADISHU: Somalia’s semi-autonomous state of Puntland executed 10 fighters from Al-Shabab on Saturday, the region’s police said in a statement.
The executions, by firing squad, in Galkayo in the state’s Mudug region followed a trial of the fighters in a military court where they were sentenced to death for involvement in assassinations and bombings in several locations in Galkayo.
Police said the executed fighters “were previously sentenced to death by the supreme court of the armed forces after they were found to have committed murders in the city of Galkayo.”
Al Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab insurgents have been fighting for nearly two decades, aiming to topple Somalia’s central government.
The UN Security Council voted unanimously on Thursday to authorize the African Union to maintain its peacekeeping operation in Somalia until the end of the year.
It also called for plans for a successor mission, a critical step toward the country’s takeover of its security.

 


Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

HANOI: US President Donald Trump told Vietnam’s top leader To Lam he would “instruct the relevant agencies” to remove the country from a list restricted from accessing advanced US technologies, Vietnam’s government announced Saturday.
The two leaders met in person for the first time at the White House on Friday, after Lam attended the inaugural meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington.
“Donald Trump said he would instruct the relevant agencies to soon remove Vietnam from the strategic export control list,” Hanoi’s Government News website said.
The two countries were locked in protracted trade negotiations when the US Supreme Court ruled many of Trump’s sweeping tariffs were illegal.
Three Vietnamese airlines announced nearly $37 billion in purchases this week, in a series of contracts signed with US aerospace companies.
Fledgling airline Sun PhuQuoc Airways placed an order for 40 of Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, a long-haul aircraft, with an estimated total value of $22.5 billion, while national carrier Vietnam Airlines placed an $8.1 billion order for around 50 Boeing 737-8 aircraft.
When Trump announced his “Liberation Day” tariffs in April, Vietnam had the third-largest trade surplus with the US of any country after China and Mexico, and was targeted with one of the highest rates in Trump’s tariff blitz.
But in July, Hanoi secured a minimum 20 percent tariff with Washington, down from more than 40 percent, in return for opening its market to US products including cars.
Trump signed off on a global 10-percent tariff on Friday on all countries hours after the Supreme Court ruled many of his levies on imports were illegal.