Police identify bullet-riddled bodies hung from poles in southwestern Pakistan

Pakistani policemen stand guard at the market during in Quetta on October 26, 2016. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 16 August 2024
Follow

Police identify bullet-riddled bodies hung from poles in southwestern Pakistan

  • Official says the bodies found in Dalbandin belong to Afghan nationals from Lashkar Gah
  • All five people were said to be in the captivity of Jaish-ul-Adl militants about 20 days ago

QUETTA: Police in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province have identified five bullet-riddled bodies found hanging from electricity poles on Friday in the remote settlement of Dalbandin, saying they belonged to Afghan nationals.

The incident jolted residents of the area, located about 340 kilometers from the provincial capital, Quetta, after they spotted the bodies bound to electricity pylons in the middle of the town, which shares borders with Iran and Afghanistan.

Hussain Lehri, Senior Superintendent of Police in Dalbandin, said the authorities moved the bodies, found near a government-run college, to the District Headquarters Hospital for autopsy as soon as they were informed.

“During the medico-legal procedure, the bodies were identified, and it emerged that the deceased were residents of Afghanistan’s Lashkar Gah city,” he told Arab News over the phone.

“The bodies have been taken to Quetta, where they will be kept in a morgue until the family members arrive to claim them.”

Pakistan shares a 2,600-kilometer border with Afghanistan and a 905-kilometer border with Iran. Dalbandin is situated close to the Afghan province of Helmand and is a frequent border crossing for people illegally entering Pakistan.

Balochistan, arguably the most underdeveloped region of Pakistan, has been the scene of a low-level insurgency by Baloch separatist groups who accuse Islamabad of exploiting its natural resources like copper and gold. The Pakistani state denies the charge, saying it has been undertaking development projects to benefit the residents of the province.

Lehri said the five Afghans were killed by unknown assailants outside Dalbandin before their bodies were tied to the poles in the city.

“A video appeared about 20 days ago, in which they were seen in the captivity of the banned Islamist group Jaish-ul-Adl,” he continued. “But we are investigating this further.”

Jaish-ul-Adl is a militant group based in southeastern Iran, primarily operating in the Sistan and Balochistan province. The group emerged in 2012 as a successor to Jundallah, a previously active insurgent organization.

Jaish-ul-Adl is primarily known for its violent attacks against Iranian security forces and government officials, with Tehran accusing Pakistan of harboring them, though Pakistani authorities have always denied the allegation.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the killings of the Afghan nationals.


Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

  • Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further 
  • Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them

COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.

India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.

A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.

It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.

“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.

“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.

“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”

Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.

“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.

“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”

Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.

“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.

Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.

“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”

Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.