Russia launches over 10,000 cases for ‘discrediting’ army

Russia has launched more than 10,000 cases against people accused of "discrediting" the army since its invasion of Ukraine, the Mediazona website, which monitors the courts, reported Wednesday. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 August 2024
Follow

Russia launches over 10,000 cases for ‘discrediting’ army

  • Legislation passed soon after Russia’s February 2022 offensive punishes public acts or statements seen as critical of the Russian armed forces
  • The 10,000th case was submitted to court in the first week of August

WARSAW: Russia has launched more than 10,000 cases against people accused of “discrediting” the army since its invasion of Ukraine, the Mediazona website, which monitors the courts, reported Wednesday.
Legislation passed soon after Russia’s February 2022 offensive punishes public acts or statements seen as critical of the Russian armed forces. Thousands of people have been detained as a result.
“The 10,000th case was submitted to court in the first week of August,” the website said.
Most cases came in the first months of the war, with the total number of charges reaching 5,614 by the end of 2022, Mediazona wrote. This year so far there have been at least 1,410 cases.
Individuals found guilty of an initial offense face a fine of up to 50,000 rubles ($566).
But those who face a repeat charge within a year are criminalized and risk a prison sentence of up to five years, or seven years if their actions led to injuries or death or mass public order offenses.
According to the monitor OVD-Info, 200 people have been indicted for a repeat offense, although some of these have left the country.
In February, Memorial rights activist Oleg Orlov was found guilty of discrediting the army as a repeat offense and sentenced to two and half years in prison.
This came after he spoke out against the military campaign and the Kremlin.
The 71-year-old was freed in an international prisoner exchange in July and flew to Germany.
Russia has waged an unprecedented crackdown on dissent since launching its military campaign against Ukraine.
Memorial has drawn up a list of 762 political prisoners in Russia.


Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

  • Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected
  • Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries

COPENHAGEN: Norway is relocating some of the around 60 soldiers it has in the Middle East to Norway as well as to other countries in the region on security grounds, a spokesperson for the Norwegian armed forces ⁠said on Friday.
US ⁠President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday it must make a deal over its nuclear program or “really bad things” will happen, setting a deadline of 10 ⁠to 15 days, drawing a threat from Tehran to retaliate against US bases in the region if attacked.
Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected.
“These are soldiers who have jobs like training local forces and other missions,” Lt. Col. Vegard Finberg from ⁠the Norwegian ⁠Joint Headquarters told Reuters.
“The way the situation is now, it’s not possible for them to do their primary tasks, and that’s why we are relocating them,” he said, adding other nations had made similar moves in recent days.
Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries.