LONDON: England captain Ben Stokes has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a torn hamstring and will miss the Test series against Sri Lanka, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced Tuesday.
“England Men’s Test Captain Ben Stokes has been ruled out for the rest of the summer after tearing his left hamstring while playing for Northern Superchargers in The Hundred on Sunday,” said an ECB statement.
The 33-year-old all-rounder will be replaced as Test skipper by vice-captain Ollie Pope, the ECB added.
The first Test against Sri Lanka begins on August 21 at Old Trafford.
“As a result of the scans conducted in Leeds on Tuesday, Stokes will miss England’s three-match Test series against Sri Lanka,” aid the ECB.
“The all-rounder is aiming to return for England’s winter Test tour of Pakistan, scheduled to start in early October.”
No replacement player has been added to the England squad for the Sri Lanka series announced on August 4.
Stokes had knee surgery in November and then ruled himself out of England’s T20 World Cup title defense in the Caribbean and the United States earlier this year to ensure he could be fit to play a role as a fully-fledged all-rounder in the Test side.
He scored 192 runs at an average of 48 and took five wickets with his lively medium-pace bowling during a 3-0 series whitewash of the West Indies — the first half of England’s home Test program this season.
Stokes looked well on his way to full fitness before suffering the injury against Manchester Originals at Old Trafford, where he was later seen on crutches.
Stokes’ injury provoked a fresh round of social media criticism of the Hundred, the ECB’s controversial 100-balls-per-side tournament, that features eight specially created teams rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.
England players are routinely withdrawn by the ECB from the first-class County Championship or domestic limited-overs tournaments such as the T20 Blast and One-Day Cup to protect their fitness for international duty.
Stokes, however, was cleared to play in the Hundred, despite pulling out of the T20 World Cup.
His absence is a fresh injury blow for England, with opening batsman Zak Crawley already ruled out of the Sri Lanka series because of a broken finger sustained while fielding against the West Indies.
Uncapped paceman Dillon Pennington has been sidelined after also suffering a hamstring injury while in action for Northern Superchargers.
Sri Lanka will have one warm-up match, a four-day fixture against the second-string England Lions in Worcester starting Wednesday, before the first Test.
England captain Stokes out of Sri Lanka series with torn hamstring
https://arab.news/2b26s
England captain Stokes out of Sri Lanka series with torn hamstring
- The all-rounder aims to return for England’s winter Test tour of Pakistan, scheduled to start in early October
- No replacement player has been added to the England squad for the Sri Lanka series announced on August 4
UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius
PARIS: UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behavior” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored a sublime goal before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.










