King’s College London to revise arms investments after pro-Palestine student protests 

Pro-Palestine student protestors at the King's College London campus. (Getty)
Short Url
Updated 31 July 2024
Follow

King’s College London to revise arms investments after pro-Palestine student protests 

  • University will no longer invest in companies engaged in production, distribution of 'controversial' weapons

LONDON: King’s College London has announced plans to revise its investment policy on arms companies, following a series of pro-Palestine protests by students on its campuses, The Times reported on Wednesday. 

The decision, which has been under consideration since April, was confirmed in a statement by the vice president of the King’s College London Students’ Union, on Instagram. 

“The university will no longer invest in companies engaged in the production or distribution of controversial weapons,” Hassan Ali said. 

The agreement among university finance executives was finalized on Monday, with a formal decision expected to be completed in October. This change will be reflected in the university’s environment, social and governance framework under a new “controversial weapons” clause. 

The clause specifies that King’s College London will “not hold any direct or indirect (via pooled funds) investments in companies deemed to be engaged in controversial weapons.”

The definition of controversial weapons in this context includes cluster bombs, land mines, depleted uranium weapons, chemical and biological weapons, blinding laser weapons, non-detectable fragments, and incendiary weapons such as white phosphorus. The university has committed to regular monitoring to ensure compliance with these new guidelines.

Ali described the development as “a testament to the power of our community’s dedication and perseverance.”

King’s College London has seen numerous demonstrations, including walkouts, sit-ins and encampments, since Israel launched its war on Gaza, student newspaper Roar News reported. 

The protests, which began in October, reflect a broader wave of activism across British universities, where students have criticized their institutions for being “complicit in genocide” and have called for divestment from Israeli and defense companies supplying arms to Israel.

The atmosphere at King’s College London has been tense following the suspension of three elected student representatives by the student union in November after issuing pro-Palestinian statements online. Ali, along with his colleagues Sadaf Abbas Cheema and Alizeh Abrar, had their positions informally revoked by the student union, adding to the controversy around the issue.

A third-year politics student at King’s College who participated in the protests, said: “This is a huge development for the students. Many of us have been advocating for this change, and it represents a significant step in the right direction.”

York University and Queen’s University Belfast have committed to revising investments following pro-Palestine protests earlier this year.
 


Ukraine accuses Hungary, Slovakia of ‘blackmail’ over threats to cut electricity

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Ukraine accuses Hungary, Slovakia of ‘blackmail’ over threats to cut electricity

KYIV: Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry condemned what it described as “ultimatums and blackmail” by the governments of Hungary and Slovakia on Saturday, after they threatened to stop electricity supplies to ​Ukraine unless Kyiv restarts flows of Russian oil.
Shipments of Russian oil to Hungary and Slovakia have been cut off since January 27, when Kyiv says a Russian drone strike hit pipeline equipment in Western Ukraine. Slovakia and Hungary say Ukraine is to blame for the prolonged outage.
Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico said on Saturday that he would cut off emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine within two days unless Kyiv resumes Russian oil transit to Slovakia over Ukraine’s ‌territory. Hungary’s Viktor ‌Orban made a similar threat days earlier.
The issue ​has ‌become ⁠one of ​the ⁠angriest disputes yet between Ukraine and two neighbors that are members of the EU and NATO but whose leaders have bucked the largely pro-Ukrainian consensus in Europe to cultivate warm ties with Moscow.
Slovakia and Hungary are the only two EU countries that still rely on significant amounts of Russian oil shipped via the Soviet-era Druzhba pipeline over Ukraine.
“Ukraine rejects and condemns the ultimatums and blackmail by the ⁠governments of Hungary and the Slovak Republic regarding energy supplies ‌between our countries,” the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said ‌in a statement. “Ultimatums should be sent to the Kremlin, ​and certainly not to Kyiv.”

HUNGARY, ‌SLOVAKIA ARE KEY FOR UKRAINE’S ELECTRICITY IMPORTS
Between them, Hungary and Slovakia ‌have been providing around half of European emergency electricity exports to Ukraine, which Kyiv increasingly relies on as Russian attacks have damaged its grid.
“If oil supplies to Slovakia are not resumed on Monday, I will ask SEPS, the state-owned joint-stock company, to stop emergency electricity ‌supplies to Ukraine,” Fico said in a post on X.
Kyiv said that such actions were “provocative, irresponsible, and threaten the energy ⁠security of ⁠the entire region.”
Throughout the war that began with the full-scale Russian invasion whose fourth anniversary falls on Tuesday, Ukraine has allowed its territory to be used for Russian energy exports to Europe, which have been sharply curtailed but not halted.
Ukraine has proposed alternative transit routes to ship oil to Europe while emergency pipeline repair works are under way.
In a letter seen by Reuters, the Ukrainian mission to the EU proposed shipments through Ukraine’s oil transportation system or a maritime route, potentially including the Odesa-Brody pipeline linking Ukraine’s main Black Sea port to the EU.
Since October last year, Russia has intensified its drone and ​missile attacks on the Ukrainian ​energy system, knocking out electricity and heat and plunging millions of Ukrainians into long blackouts during bitterly cold winter temperatures.