Saudi crown prince congratulates Kingdom on 2034 World Cup bid

The bid is set to be submitted to FIFA officials in Paris by a delegation headed by minister of sports Abdulaziz bin Turki bin Faisal and President of the Saudi Football Federation Yasser Al-Misehal. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 12 December 2024
Follow

Saudi crown prince congratulates Kingdom on 2034 World Cup bid

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman congratulated the Kingdom on completing its bid to host the 2034 World Cup.

The bid was submitted to FIFA officials in Paris on Monday by a delegation headed by the Saudi minister of sports, Abdulaziz bin Turki bin Faisal, and President of the Saudi Football Federation Yasser Al-Misehal.

Prince Abdulaziz expressed his gratitude to King Salman and the crown prince for their support and interest in the bid. 

“With this candidacy, we intend to host the exceptional edition that brings together 48 teams for the first time in the history of the tournament in one country,” the minister said.

“I extend my sincerest gratitude to our visionary leadership that has enabled us to reach this milestone in the history of Saudi sports. I also express my profound thanks to the Crown Prince and Prime Minister for his unwavering support for the development of the sports sector.

“Saudi Arabia’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup 2034 is a bid for the future. It is for our children and those who dream big.

“The Kingdom aims to host the most important event in the world of football, which would reaffirm its influential position on the global stage across various fields, including sports.

“The involvement of two children submitting the bid embodies the significant contributions of the youth of this great nation; youth are our largest population segment. With their passion and outstanding talent in various fields, including football, our youth are the key to achieving the Kingdom’s future ambitions.”

He continued: “Their involvement sends a powerful message, reflecting the dreams and aspirations of our youth to participate in a FIFA World Cup on our home soil, to help organize the tournament, or to support the Kingdom’s efforts in welcoming the world.”

Al-Misehal, President of SAFF, said: “Our bid campaign marks our firm commitment to hosting the world’s greatest football tournament, and a deep desire to advance sport and the quality of life for our people.

“Our country’s love of football is rooted in history, and we want to showcase to FIFA how we will harness this enthusiasm not just in 2034 – but for generations to come. We want to create an enduring legacy to help push Saudi Arabia’s transformation to new heights.”
 


Norway’s Carlsen wins first FIDE Freestyle World Chess Championship

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Norway’s Carlsen wins first FIDE Freestyle World Chess Championship

Norway’s Magnus Carlsen added ‌another crown to his collection on Sunday by becoming the first official FIDE Freestyle Chess world champion after ​a comeback win over Fabiano Caruana in Germany.
The chess master secured the title with a cautious draw in the fourth and final game, clinching a 2.5–1.5 match victory against his 33-year-old American opponent in Weissenhaus.
Sunday’s turning point came in the thrilling third game, in ‌which Carlsen, ‌35, pulled off a stunning ​win ‌from ⁠a ​seemingly lost ⁠position, swinging the entire contest in his favor.
The world number one only needed a draw in the decisive fourth game, and that’s exactly what he got in an equal endgame, with Caruana missing late opportunities to mount a ⁠comeback.
Carlsen has now won 21 world ‌titles in various formats.

 

The ‌World Championship marked a breakthrough ​collaboration between FIDE and ‌private organizer Freestyle Chess, staging the first ‌officially recognized title in this format.
Carlsen had previously failed to capture the FIDE Fischer Random World Championship, making this victory particularly sweet for the chess great.
In ‌the bronze medal match, Uzbekistan’s Nodirbek Abdusattorov beat Germany’s Vincent Keymer, securing ⁠his spot ⁠by drawing from a winning position in the final game.
Both finalists and Abdusattorov have qualified for next year’s championship.
The tournament’s lower placings saw Hans Niemann of the United States take fifth with a 2-0 victory over India’s Arjun Erigaisi, while Armenia’s Levon Aronian won his Armageddon game against Uzbekistan’s Javokhir Sindarov for seventh place.
In the women’s exhibition match, Kazakhstan’s ​Bibisara Assaubayeva prevailed over ​Switzerland’s Alexandra Kosteniuk after their final encounter ended in a draw.