LONDON: Record immigration caused the population of England and Wales to rise by 610,000 to 60.9 million in mid-2023, the largest annual increase in 75 years, official data showed on Monday.
What statisticians term ‘natural’ population growth — the difference between births and deaths — fell to just 400, the lowest since 1978, while net international migration rose to 622,000, up from 548,500 in the previous 12 months.
A net 13,800 people also moved from England and Wales to Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Britain’s Office for National Statistics said the population increase in England and Wales was the largest since 1948, when a post-World War Two baby boom and the return of British military personnel serving overseas caused a rise of 1.5 million.
The population for the whole United Kingdom was 67.6 million in mid 2022. Data for 2023 is not yet available.
Economic output has not kept up with the rising population. Based on provisional population figures, gross domestic product per head in 2023 was 0.7 percent lower than a year earlier.
Net migration to the United Kingdom hit a record 764,000 in 2022 and fell 10 percent to 685,000 in 2023, but is more than double its level in 2015, just before the Brexit referendum.
Reducing immigration was a key goal of many Britons who voted to leave the European Union.
Britain’s previous Conservative government said it wanted to reduce net immigration, and Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Labour Party pledged in the election campaign to do so too by making the economy less reliant on foreign workers.
Post-Brexit changes to visas sharply reduced the number of EU migrants to Britain, but new work visa rules led to a surge in immigration from India, Nigeria and Pakistan, often to fill health and social care vacancies.
At the end of last year the government tightened rules to stop low-paid social care workers from bringing dependents.
England and Wales population rises by most in 75 years amid influx from Pakistan, elsewhere
https://arab.news/wrbr4
England and Wales population rises by most in 75 years amid influx from Pakistan, elsewhere
- Post-Brexit changes to visas sharply reduced the number of EU migrants to Britain
- But new work visa rules led to a surge in immigration from Pakistan, India and Nigeria
Pakistan to face New Zealand today in T20 World Cup Super Eight encounter in Colombo
- The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions AustraliaThe second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia
- Zimbabwe, who did not qualify in 2024, top Group B with a stunning unbeaten campaign
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will take on New Zealand in their T20 World Cup Super Eight stage clash in Colombo on Saturday, with both sides looking to strengthen their chances of reaching the knockouts.
The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group. Instead, Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.
Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, head coach Mike Hesson said on Friday. Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.
The match is scheduled to start at 6:30pm Pakistan time.
“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.
Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.
“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup... We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end,” Hesson said.
“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that...He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”
Hesson also defended dropping pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.
“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” he said. “To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”










