Ex-PM Khan seeks Pakistan chief justice’s recusal from benches hearing his cases

Pakistan's former Prime Minister Imran Khan (C) leaves after appearing in the Supreme Court in Islamabad on July 26, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 July 2024
Follow

Ex-PM Khan seeks Pakistan chief justice’s recusal from benches hearing his cases

  • Khan cites earlier Supreme Court judgment that restrained Justice Qazi Faez Isa from hearing cases involving him
  • Khan’s government in 2019 filed presidential reference against Justice Isa, alleging he did not disclose properties bought by wife, children

ISLAMABAD: Former prime minister Imran Khan on Wednesday sought Chief Justice Qazi Faez Isa’s recusal from benches hearing his cases in a written statement to the Supreme Court, saying the move would uphold the principle of impartiality. 

Khan submitted his response to the court in a case relating to amendments made to Pakistan’s accountability laws. The former premier had moved the top court in 2022 against certain changes made to the laws that year, alleging they were made to benefit influential accused persons and legitimize corruption. 

In his response, Khan cited the top court’s judgment in a 2021 case in which the court had said Justice Isa, then a Supreme Court judge, should not hear cases against Khan to maintain impartiality. The reasoning cited by the court was that Justice Isa had filed a petition, in a personal capacity, against Khan in the same case. 

“In the said judgment it is observed that in order to uphold the principle of unbias-ness and impartiality it would be in the interest of justice that Justice Qazi Faez Isa (as he then was, now Chief Justice) should not hear matters involving me,” Khan’s response read. 

Justice Isa also faced a presidential reference filed by the Imran Khan-led government in May 2019 that alleged the judge had acquired multiple properties in London in the name of his wife and children from 2011 to 2015, but did not declare them in the statement of his assets.

Justice Isa had contested the allegations and maintained he was neither directly nor indirectly a beneficial owner of the properties. The reference was subsequently nullified by the Supreme Court but Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party has repeatedly asked Justice Isa to recuse himself from cases involving the cricketer-turned-politician. 

Khan has been in jail since last August after he was convicted in some cases ahead of a national election in February this year. He is also fighting dozens of other cases that Khan and his party say are politically motivated to thwart his return to power.

In recent months, Pakistani courts have suspended Khan’s jail sentences in two cases about the illegal acquisition and sale of state gifts and also overturned his conviction on charges of leaking state secrets.

However, he has remained in prison due to a conviction in another case in which a trial court ruled that his 2018 marriage was unlawful. Khan also faces a trial under anti-terrorism charges in connection with violence in May last year.


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.