Thai court sets July 24 as next hearing date for case to remove PM

The case seeks to remove Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin over the cabinet appointment of a lawyer, Pichit Chuenban, who served jail time for contempt of court. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 July 2024
Follow

Thai court sets July 24 as next hearing date for case to remove PM

  • Case against Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin was launched following a complaint by 40 military-appointed senators
  • Complaint alleges that Pichit fell short of moral and ethical standards for ministers as defined in the constitution

BANGKOK: Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Wednesday set July 24 as the next hearing date for a case seeking the dismissal of Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin as it seeks more evidence.
The court said earlier this month that the case would reach a verdict before September.
“The court calls for more information including evidence and from individuals that were previously summoned,” it said in a statement.
The case against Srettha was launched following a complaint by 40 military-appointed senators in May, which was subsequently accepted by the constitutional court.
The case seeks to remove the premier over the cabinet appointment of a lawyer, Pichit Chuenban, who served jail time for contempt of court. The complaint alleges that Pichit fell short of moral and ethical standards for ministers as defined in the constitution.
Pichit has since resigned and Srettha denies any wrongdoing.
If Srettha, a political newcomer, is removed from office, a new government must be formed and his ruling Pheu Thai party would need to put forward a new candidate for premier to be voted on by parliament.
The case against the prime minister is being investigated along with another complaint calling for the dissolution of the opposition Move Forward party, the surprise winners of last year’s elections and the largest party in parliament.


Trump says Cuba, a ‘failed nation,’ should make a deal with US

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Trump says Cuba, a ‘failed nation,’ should make a deal with US

  • The island is facing major fuel shortages and blackouts as Trump intensifies the decades-long US embargo on the country and presses other countries to stop sending Havana oil

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE: President Donald Trump on Monday said Cuba was a “failed nation” and called on Havana to make a deal with the United States, though he dismissed mounting a regime change operation.
“Cuba is right now, a failed nation,” the US leader told reporters aboard Air Force One.
However, when asked if the United States would oust Cuba’s government, as Washington did when it raided Venezuela and captured president Nicolas Maduro, Trump said: “I don’t think that will be necessary.”
The island is facing major fuel shortages and blackouts as Trump intensifies the decades-long US embargo on the country and presses other countries to stop sending Havana oil.
“It’s a humanitarian threat,” Trump admitted of the fuel shortages biting the country.