Seven protesters killed in north Syria clashes with Turkish forces

Syrian demonstrators protest near a Turkish army observation point in Ibbin Samaan in the western part of Syria’s northern Aleppo province on July 1, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 July 2024
Follow

Seven protesters killed in north Syria clashes with Turkish forces

  • Protests in the Turkish-controlled border strip followed a rampage a day earlier against Syrian businesses and properties in central Turkiye
  • Hundreds of Syrians demonstrated throughout the Ankara-controlled area, with some armed protesters attacking Turkish trucks and military posts

AZAZ, Syria: Clashes between armed protesters and guards of Turkish positions in Syria’s north killed seven people, a medical source and a war monitor said Tuesday in a revised toll.
The protests Monday in the Turkish-controlled border strip followed a rampage a day earlier against Syrian businesses and properties in central Turkiye, where a Syrian man had been accused of harassing a child.
“Seven protesters have been killed... during exchanges of fire with people guarding Turkish positions,” the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Six were killed in the city of Afrin and one in Jarablus, said the British-based monitor with a network of sources inside Syria.
It did not specify whether the protesters killed were armed or not.
A medical source in northern Syria also told AFP seven people had been killed in the violence.
Calm prevailed on Tuesday morning, AFP correspondents in the area said.
On Monday, hundreds of Syrians demonstrated throughout the Ankara-controlled area, with some armed protesters attacking Turkish trucks and military posts, and taking down Turkish flags.
Some even attempted to storm crossing points, clashing with Turkish border guards.
According to the Syrian Observatory, four border crossings with Turkiye have been shut in the wake of the violence.
The protests also extended to the rebel-held Idlib region, near the Turkish-controlled area, an AFP correspondent and the Observatory said.
Earlier Tuesday, Turkish authorities said they detained 474 people after the anti-Syrian riots.
Since 2016, Turkiye has carried out successive ground operations to expel Kurdish forces from border areas of northern Syria.
Pro-Turkish forces in Syria now control two vast strips of territory along the border.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan supported early rebel efforts to topple Syrian President Bashar Assad at the start of the war in 2011.
But he has reversed course in recent years, with top officials from both countries meeting in Russian-mediated talks.
On Friday, Erdogan had pointed to a possible meeting with Assad, saying it was “not impossible.”
Turkiye, which hosts some 3.2 million Syrian refugees, has been shaken several times by bouts of xenophobic violence in recent years, often triggered by rumors spreading on social media and instant messaging applications.


Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

Updated 30 min 48 sec ago
Follow

Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

  • Renewed talks ‌scheduled in early March ⁠and ⁠could possibly lead to an interim deal

DUBAI: Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and ​mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early ‌March. The official ‌said Tehran ​could ‌seriously ⁠consider ​a combination of ⁠exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran’s ⁠right to “peacful nuclear enrichment” ‌must be ‌recognized.
“The negotiations continue and ​the possibility ‌of reaching an interim agreement exists,” ‌the official said. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft ‌counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the ⁠United ⁠States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil ​and gas ​fields.