Julian Assange ‘marvelling’ at freedom in Australia

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange (C) celebrates after arriving at Canberra Airport in Canberra on June 26, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 June 2024
Follow

Julian Assange ‘marvelling’ at freedom in Australia

  • The 52-year-old landed in Canberra the night before, hours after pleading guilty in a US Pacific island court to revealing military secrets
  • He was sentenced to time already served

CANBERRA: WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is “marvelling at the horizon” as he tastes freedom in Australia after a five-year stretch in a London high-security prison, his wife said Thursday.

The 52-year-old landed in Canberra the night before, hours after pleading guilty in a US Pacific island court to revealing military secrets and being sentenced to time already served.

The deal let him walk free after a 14-year legal struggle with the US Department of Justice.

“He’s overjoyed to be back home. He’s just marvelling at the horizon,” Stella Assange told Australia’s public broadcaster ABC.

Assange spent more than five years in London’s Belmarsh prison after being dragged out of Ecuador’s London embassy where he lived for seven years to escape extradition to Sweden over sexual assault charges that were eventually dropped.

The couple have not had time to discuss how their lives will play out since his release, said Stella, who met Assange while he was still in the Ecuadorian embassy and married him in the London prison.

“That’s why we have asked for privacy and space and time to figure things out,” she said.

“I packed the bags and got on a plane and got here to receive Julian. And what happens next? Well, hopefully rest, recovery and a period of calm.”


Louvre official says fraud ‘inevitable’ at large museums

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Louvre official says fraud ‘inevitable’ at large museums

  • Among the suspects are two Chinese tour guides accused of bringing groups of tourists into the museum

PARIS: For the Louvre, the world’s most visited museum, it is “statistically inevitable” that fraud would come up at some point, the museum’s No. 2 said in the wake of a decade-long, $11.8 million suspected ticket-fraud scheme revealed last week.

Kim Pham, the Louvre’s general administrator, told The Associated Press that the museum’s unique scale makes it particularly vulnerable. However, pressed to name other institutions with similar problems, he declined to single out peers.

“Which museum in the world, with this level of attendance, would not at certain moments have some issues of fraud,” wondered Pham, who oversees day-to-day operations, including administration and internal management.

And that’s no easy task, with 86,000 square meters of space presenting 35,000 works of art to nine million visitors a year.

Last week, Paris prosecutors said that nine people were being detained in connection to the ticket scheme. The nine have been formally charged and brought before investigating judges.

Among the suspects are two Chinese tour guides accused of bringing groups of tourists into the museum by fraudulently reusing the same tickets multiple times for different visitors, allegedly with the help of Louvre employees.

The Louvre had filed a complaint back in December 2024, prosecutors said. Investigators estimate losses of more than $11.8 million over a decade, with the alleged criminal network suspected of bringing in up to 20 guided groups a day.