Indian soldiers kill three suspected Kashmir militants

Indian army personnel look on during a search operation in Reasi on June 10, 2024, after gunmen in Kashmir ambushed the bus packed with Hindu pilgrims. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 26 June 2024
Follow

Indian soldiers kill three suspected Kashmir militants

  • Exchange of fire occurs in remote Doda area during search operation, says police
  • Latest clash takes place days before a major Hindu festival is to take place 

SRINAGAR, India: Three suspected militants were killed Wednesday in Indian-administered Kashmir during a daylong firefight with soldiers, police said, the latest incident in an uptick of attacks in the disputed territory.

Muslim-majority Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since their independence from British rule in 1947.

Indian police said the exchange of fire in the remote Doda area came after security forces launched a search operation based on intelligence about the presence of militants.

Three “terrorists” were killed during the ensuing firefight, police said in a post on social media platform X.

“Arms and ammunition have been recovered from their possession,” the post said.

The latest clash in the forested area, some 200 kilometers (124 miles) south of the main city of Srinagar, came days before a major Hindu pilgrimage is set to begin.

Two suspected militants were killed in a residential area of northern Kashmir valley last week.
India and Pakistan both claim Kashmir in full and have fought three wars for control of the Himalayan region.

Rebel groups have waged an insurgency since 1989, demanding independence for the territory or its merger with Pakistan.

The conflict has killed tens of thousands of civilians, soldiers and rebels.

Nine Indian Hindu pilgrims were killed and dozens wounded this month when a gunman opened fire on a bus carrying them from a shrine in the southern Reasi area.

It was one of the deadliest attacks in years and the first on Hindu pilgrims in Kashmir since 2017, when gunmen killed seven people in another ambush on a bus.


South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands

SEOUL: South Korea on ‌Sunday protested a Japanese government event commemorating a cluster of disputed islands between the two countries, calling the ​move an unjust assertion of sovereignty over its territory.
In a statement, the foreign ministry said it strongly objected to the Takeshima Day event held by Japan’s Shimane prefecture and to the attendance of a senior Japanese government official, urging Japan to immediately abolish the ceremony.
The tiny ‌islets, known as ‌Takeshima in Japan and ​Dokdo ‌in South ⁠Korea, ​which controls ⁠them, have long been a source of tension between the two neighbors, whose relations remain strained by disputes rooted in Japan’s colonial rule of the Korean peninsula from 1910 to 1945.
“Dokdo is clearly South Korea’s sovereign territory historically, geographically and ⁠under international law,” the ministry said, calling ‌on Japan to ‌drop what it described as groundless ​claims and to face ‌history with humility.
The ministry summoned a top ‌Japanese diplomat to the ministry building in Seoul to lodge a protest.
A person at Japan’s foreign ministry said no one was available on Sunday to comment. ‌A call to the Prime Minister’s Office went unanswered. The government sent a ⁠vice-minister ⁠from the Cabinet Office, not a cabinet minister, to the ceremony.
Seoul has repeatedly objected to Japan’s territorial claims over the islands, including a protest issued on Friday over comments by Japan’s foreign minister during a parliamentary address asserting Tokyo’s sovereignty over the islets.
The territory lies in fertile fishing grounds and may sit above enormous deposits of natural gas hydrate that could be worth ​billions of dollars, ​Seoul has said.