Turkiye frees German national after 6-year prison term

A man poses for a photograph next to a Mercedes converted into a police vehicle, on display at Hagia Sophia Square in Istanbul on December 27, 2023. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 26 June 2024
Follow

Turkiye frees German national after 6-year prison term

  • Berlin indirectly confirmed his release in a statement that did not give his name, saying: “The person concerned is receiving consular assistance from our colleagues at the embassy in Ankara”

ISTANBUL: Turkiye has released a German national who was jailed in 2018 for alleged membership in an armed Kurdish group that Ankara considers a “terror” organization, a rights group representing him said Tuesday.
Patrick Kraicker “was released and is currently at a repatriation center in Ankara. He will return to Germany tomorrow,” Emine Ozhasar, a lawyer with the rights group, MLSA, told AFP.
Kraicker was arrested by Turkish police in March 2018 in the southeastern province of Sirnak and charged with trying to join the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) in nearby war-torn Syria.
Aged 29, he was convicted of belonging to a terror group and jailed for six years and three months, his lawyer told AFP at the time.
Kraicker said he was hiking in the region at the time, and his supporters denied reports he once served in the German army.
His mother, Claudia Schmuck, said her son’s confession in police custody was obtained under pressure and without an interpreter.
Berlin indirectly confirmed his release in a statement that did not give his name, saying: “The person concerned is receiving consular assistance from our colleagues at the embassy in Ankara.”
The YPG is a group of Syrian Kurdish fighters that Turkiye views as an offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which it has outlawed as a “terrorist” organization.
Also blacklisted by Washington and Brussels, the PKK has waged an armed insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984.
But the YPG dominates the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), the Kurds’ de facto army in northeastern Syria, which spearheaded the fight there against the Daesh group.

 


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.