Brussels refuses to host Belgium-Israel football match over security fears

On June 19 2024, the city of Brussels deemed it “impossible” to host the soccer match between Belgium and Israel scheduled for September 6 in the Nations League, a high-risk encounter due to tensions linked to the war in Gaza. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 June 2024
Follow

Brussels refuses to host Belgium-Israel football match over security fears

  • Holding such a match while the war in Gaza was continuing “will undoubtedly provoke large demonstrations and counter-demonstrations”
  • The Belgian Football Federation (URBSFA) said it would have accepted that the match take place behind closed doors

BRUSSELS: Brussels has refused to host a Nations League match between Israel and Belgium on September 6 because it could spark demonstrations, city authorities said on Wednesday.
They said in a statement that holding such a match while the war in Gaza was continuing “will undoubtedly provoke large demonstrations and counter-demonstrations, compromising the safety of spectators, players, Brussels residents and also the police.”
The Belgian Football Federation (URBSFA) said it would have accepted that the match take place behind closed doors but it deeply regretted that the Belgian capital had refused to host the game at all.
“We deplore the decision taken by the City of Brussels — which has a lot of experience of organizing big events — to not organize the match in our stronghold,” the federation said.
The federation said it was in contact with several cities and the security services about finding an alternative venue.
The city of Louvain has already said it would not host the match either.
Concerns were likely raised by the attack in Brussels in October in which an Islamist gunman killed two Swedish football fans, although the motive of the attack was not anti-Semitic.
France and Italy are in the same Nations League Group A2 as Belgium and Israel.


Leeds survive Birmingham scare to reach FA Cup fifth round

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

Leeds survive Birmingham scare to reach FA Cup fifth round

  • Wolves also avoided an upset as they won 1-0 at fourth-division Grimsby

LONDON: Leeds survived an FA Cup scare to reach the fifth round with a penalty shoot-out victory against second-tier Birmingham on Sunday.

Birmingham substitute Patrick Roberts snatched an 89th-minute equalizer at St. Andrew’s to cancel out Lukas Nmecha’s 49th-minute opener for Leeds.

With a feisty fourth round tie level at 1-1 after extra-time, Leeds won the shoot-out 4-2.

Joel Piroe, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Brenden Aaronson and Sean Longstaff all converted their penalties for Daniel Farke’s team.

Tommy Doyle’s effort was saved by Leeds goalkeeper Lucas Perri before Roberts fired over the crossbar.

Battling to avoid relegation from the Premier League, Leeds are one win away from reaching the quarterfinals for the first time since 2003.

Wolves also avoided an upset as they won 1-0 at fourth-division Grimsby.

Grimsby stunned Manchester United in the League Cup earlier this season.

But Wolves avoided similar embarrassment thanks to Santiago Bueno’s 60th-minute goal from the visitors’ first shot on target on a mud-caked pitch at Blundell Park.

Grimsby did not manage to force Wolves ‘keeper Sam Johnstone into a save until Andy Cook’s header in the 90th minute.

It was Wolves’ first away win since beating Manchester United in April.

Mired in a miserable season that has left them bottom of the Premier League and almost certain to be relegated, Rob Edwards’ side can still salvage some pride in the FA Cup.

Fulham came from behind to win 2-1 at second tier Stoke.

Cottagers boss Marco Silva made 10 changes from their midweek defeat at Manchester City and nearly paid for the gamble.

South Korean midfielder Bae Jun-ho capped a fine move to put Stoke ahead after 19 minutes.

But Brazilian winger Kevin got his reward for an impressive performance in the 55th minute, sending a first-time shot into the bottom corner.

Harrison Reed completed Fulham’s escape act in the 84th minute, intercepting a poor pass from Stoke keeper Tommy Simkin and slotting home.

Sunderland reached the fifth round for the first time since 2015 as Habib Diarra’s controversial penalty clinched a 1-0 win at second tier Oxford.

Regis Le Bris’ side went in front after 32 minutes when Dennis Cirkin tumbled under Christ Makosso’s challenge.

Referee Thomas Kirk pointed to the spot despite Oxford’s protests and Diarra rubbed salt into their wounds as he calmly converted the penalty.