Gaza aid through US pier will resume in coming days, Israel says

The US Central Command said on Friday it has re-established the temporary pier in Gaza, which will allow delivery of humanitarian aid to the war-torn enclave. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 08 June 2024
Follow

Gaza aid through US pier will resume in coming days, Israel says

  • The section that connects to the beach, the causeway, was rebuilt nearly two weeks after heavy storms damaged it
  • Humanitarian aid is expected to begin moving into the enclave through the maritime route in the coming days

JERUSALEM: Humanitarian aid entering Gaza by sea via a US- built pier will resume in the coming days, the Israeli military said on Saturday, after repairs to the structure were completed.

“The IDF (Israel Defense Forces) has begun securing the coastal area of the US military’s Joint Logistics Over-the-Shore (JLOTS) capability — in Gaza. The pier’s re-establishment will allow for the continued delivery of humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza in the coming days,” the Israeli military said.

The US Central Command said on Friday it had re-established the temporary pier anchored off Gaza’s coast, which had been temporarily removed after part of the structure broke off, two weeks after it started operating.

The aid is meant to alleviate a humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza which has been unfolding in the eight months since Israel launched an offensive in response to the Oct. 7 Hamas-led attacks that killed 1,200 people in Israel.

More than 36,000 people in Gaza have been killed, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, since the start of the Israeli offensive, which has laid to waste much of the enclave and displaced most the population.


UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

UN chief expresses deep concern over escalating Iran-US tensions

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for diplomatic engagement to resolve differences between the United States and Iran amid a surge in military activities and rhetoric across the Middle East, his spokesperson said on Friday.

“We are very concerned about the heightened rhetoric we’re seeing around the region by the heightened military activities, war games or just military, increased military, naval presence in the region. And we encourage both the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran to continue to engage in diplomacy in order to settle the differences,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesperson for UN secretary-general.

The call for restraint follows a formal letter delivered on Thursday by Amir Saeid Iravani, Iran’s permanent representative to the UN, addressed to the Secretary-General and the President of the Security Council. Iravani emphasized that Iran is prepared to exercise its inherent right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter, promising a decisive and proportionate response to any military aggression.

Iravani further warned that in such a scenario, all bases, facilities, and assets belonging to hostile forces in the Middle East would constitute legitimate targets for Iranian defensive measures. The envoy added that the United States would bear full and direct responsibility for any unforeseen and uncontrollable consequences resulting from further provocations.