Pakistan army top commanders decry cross-border attacks from Afghanistan, ‘digital terrorism’

1 / 2
In this screengrab, taken from a handout video released by Pakistan’s Inter-Service Public Relations (ISPR), Pakistan Army Chief General Asim Munir speaks during the 83rd Formation Commanders Conference at the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi on May 30, 2024. (Photo courtesy: ISPR)
2 / 2
In this screengrab, taken from a handout video released by Pakistan’s Inter-Service Public Relations (ISPR), Pakistan Army officials attend the 83rd Formation Commanders Conference at the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi on May 30, 2024. (Photo courtesy: ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 30 May 2024
Follow

Pakistan army top commanders decry cross-border attacks from Afghanistan, ‘digital terrorism’

  • Army says adversaries are using Afghanistan to target security forces and civilians inside Pakistan
  • In veiled reference to ex-PM Khan and his party, army says will defeat “politically motivated digital terrorism” 

ISLAMABAD: The top commanders of the Pakistan army met on Thursday and discussed ‘serious concerns’ about cross-border attacks they said were orchestrated by militants using safe havens in neighboring Afghanistan, as well as the use of social media by “politically motivated” internal actors to sow discord between the military and the public.
The views were expressed at the 83rd Formation Commanders Conference held at the military’s GHQ headquarters in Rawalpindi and attended by Army Chief General Asim Munir, all corps commanders, principal staff officers and formation commanders of the Pakistan army.
In a press conference held earlier this month, Pakistan’s military had said a suicide bombing in March that killed five Chinese engineers was planned in neighboring Afghanistan, and that the bomber was an Afghan national. Previously also, the government and army have blamed militants harboring in Afghanistan for a surge in attacks in Pakistan.
Relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan have soured in recent months as Islamabad says Kabul is not doing enough to tackle militant groups targeting Pakistan. In March, Pakistan also carried out airstrikes targeting militants on Afghan territory. The Taliban have rejected Islamabad’s accusations, saying Pakistan is responsible for its own security challenges.
Since late last year, Pakistan has expelled almost half a million undocumented Afghan nationals, saying the majority of suicide attacks against its security forces were carried out by Afghans, a charge Kabul rejects.
“The forum expressed serious concerns over continued cross-border violations from Afghanistan and terrorism being orchestrated using Afghan soil, noting that Pakistan’s adversaries were using Afghanistan to target Security Forces and innocent civilians inside Pakistan,” a statement from the army said after the corp commanders’ meeting on Thursday.
Talking about internal challenges, the statement, in a veiled reference to the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party of former Prime Minister Imran Khan, said “politically motivated and vested digital terrorism” had been unleashed by “conspirators duly abetted by their foreign cohorts against state institutions.”
“[It] is clearly meant to try to induce despondency in the Pakistani nation, to sow discord among national institutions, especially the Armed Forces, and the people of Pakistan by peddling blatant lies, fake news, and propaganda,” the statement said. 
“However, the nation is fully cognizant of their ugly and ulterior motives and surely the designs of these nefarious forces will be comprehensively defeated.”
The military remains the country’s most powerful institution and has for decades had a huge role in making and breaking governments. Khan accuses the military of a crackdown on him and his party, which the army denies.
Although Khan is widely believed to have been brought to power in 2018 with the backing of the army, he fell out with top generals and by April 2022 was ousted from the PM’s office in a parliamentary vote of no-confidence. He has since led a defiant campaign against the army, which he accuses of working with his political rivals to unseat him. 
Tensions between Khan and the army reached a crescendo on May 9 last year when alleged supporters of the PTI attacked and damaged government and military installations. Hundreds of PTI supporters and leaders were arrested following the riots and some continue to remain behind bars as they await trial. The army has also initiated military court trials of at least 103 people accused of involvement in the violence. Many close Khan aides have since deserted him, due to what is widely believed to be pressure from the army, which denies interfering in politics.
“The planners, perpetrators, abettors, and facilitators of 9th May need to be brought to justice for the collective good of the country, and that without swift and transparent dispensation of justice to the culprits and establishing the rule of law, stability in the country will ever remain hostage to the machinations of such elements,” the army statement concluded. 
Khan and the PTI say the May riots have been used as a ruse by political rivals and the military to crack down on the party, which is arguably the most popular in Pakistan. Khan has also been indicted under Pakistan’s anti-terrorism law in connection with the violence. A section of Pakistan’s 1997 anti-terrorism act prescribes the death penalty as maximum punishment. Khan has denied the charges, saying he was in detention when the violence took place.
Khan was also handed four court convictions ahead of Feb. 8 general elections, which ruled him out of the polls as convicted individuals cannot run for public office under Pakistani law. Khan says all the cases are motivated to keep him away from politics.


Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan plans broader privatization push, eyes power utilities this year

  • Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances
  • Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb says 26 state-owned entities have been handed over to Privatization Commission

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan is widening a sweeping privatization program following the sale of its national airline last year, with power distributors next in line and more state companies to be handed to the Privatization Commission, the finance minister said on Monday.

Pakistan’s government successfully divested a 75 percent stake in the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) in December last year. The move was part of Islamabad’s broader privatization program, which aims to reduce fiscal losses inflicted by loss-making state-owned enterprises (SOEs) by either privatizing or restructuring them.

Pakistani officials have said the Privatization Commission plans to divest the country’s electricity distribution companies in two batches. The first phase will include the Islamabad Electric Supply Company, Gujranwala Electric Power Company and Faisalabad Electric Supply Company, followed by Hyderabad Electric Supply Company and Sukkur Electric Power Company in the second batch. Considerably high losses, inefficiencies and mounting subsidies in the power sector have dented Pakistan’s public finances over the years, making it a central focus of Islamabad’s reform agenda.

Speaking at a news conference about Pakistan’s privatization program, Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb said there are five power distribution companies to be privatized this year, out of which the sell-side advisers for three are Alvarez & Marsel. He said the Turkish Investment Bank has been entrusted with the task of being the sell-side advisers for the other two companies. 

“Overall, 26 SOEs have been handed over to the Privatization Commission,” Aurangzeb told reporters. “This decision is first made in the Cabinet Committee on SOEs, it then goes to the Cabinet Committee on Privatization, and then its overall approval is given by the prime minister and the cabinet.”

Aurangzeb vowed the government will take the privatization process forward with the same level of transparency as it had exhibited during the PIA sale last year. 

“And this will be taken forward with a lot of speed because we will not stop at 26 SOEs,” the finance minister said. “We will also gradually hand over other state institutions to the Privatization Commission,” he added. 

Speaking further about SOEs and their performances over the years, the minister said losses from the state entities decreased by about Rs74 billion [$264.6 million] over the last three years.

He said SOEs had reported losses of Rs905 billion [$3.24 billion] in 2023, Rs851 billion [$3.04 billion] in 2024 and Rs832 billion [$2.98 billion] in 2025.

Pakistan’s privatization push comes at the back of its efforts to ensure sustainable economic progress after a prolonged macroeconomic crisis that drained its foreign exchange reserves and triggered a balance of payments crisis.