NEW YORK CITY: The war on Gaza has depleted much of the physical and human capital in the enclave and severely affected the rest of the occupied territories in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, according to a newly published UN report.
It warns that in addition to the thousands of lives already lost, and the many people injured or maimed for life, the risk of “future lost generations is real.”
The report by the UN Development Program, titled “War in Gaza: Expected Socioeconomic Impacts on the State of Palestine,” highlights the widespread damage caused by the conflict, including: the destruction of about 80,000 homes, resulting in significant, and possibly longlasting, displacement and homelessness among the population; the depletion and pollution of natural resources; and the destruction of infrastructure such as water and sanitation systems, educational institutions and health care facilities.
It said human development in Gaza has been set back to the extent it could take 20 years to return to prewar levels, and recovery seems unlikely in the absence of a functioning economy, adequate institutional capacities, and the ability to trade.
“We haven’t seen anything like this since 1945, since the Second World War, that intensity in such a short time, that massive scale of destruction,” Abdallah Al-Dardari, the assistant administrator and director of UNDP’s Regional Bureau for Arab States, told Arab News.
“With 37 million tons of debris, compared to 2.4 million tons of debris in the 2014 war, and 72 percent of all housing in Gaza destroyed, and 90 percent of commercial and all other buildings destroyed, this is unprecedented.”
The report analyzes the devastating effects the ongoing war in Gaza has had on the Palestinian people, their economy and human development in the territory, and predicts the possible consequences based on scenarios that assume a further one to three months of conflict.
Based on official figures, by April 12 this year, at least 33,207 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza, an estimated 7,000 were missing, and 80,683 had been injured. About 70 percent of the dead were women and children. Many of the injured are likely to suffer long-term consequences, including disabilities.
These figures reveal that at least 5 percent of the population of Gaza has been killed, maimed or injured. In addition, about 500 Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank since the beginning of the war.
“No other armed conflict in the 21st century has caused such a devastating impact on a population in such a short time frame,” the report notes. It states the number of people in Gaza living in poverty has risen to 1.67 million in the six months since the conflict between Israel and Hamas began in October last year.
The report warns that the number of Gazans living in poverty will rise to 1.74 million if the duration of the war reaches seven months, and 1.86 million if it reaches nine months.
The report estimates the unemployment rate in the Occupied Palestinian Territories rose to 46.1 percent after six months of war and could reach 47.8 percent by the end of a ninth month of fighting. It estimates that six months of war set human development back 17 years, and by the ninth month this will have increased to a loss of 20 years of progress.
The analysis further reveals that the Palestinian economy lost an estimated 8.7 percent of its real gross domestic product in 2023, and will lose an estimated 25.8 percent in 2024. If the conflict continues for another three months, the loss this year could increase to 29 percent, equivalent to about $7.6 billion. All economic sectors in Gaza have been severely affected by the war, the report found, with the construction sector experiencing the most substantial decline, of 75.2 percent.
“The local economy has been eviscerated by the current war,” it states. “The devastating Gaza war will leave future generations with aggravated economic and social costs that will impede postwar recovery and development across the occupied Palestinian territory.”
Under even the most optimistic scenarios for the speed of reconstruction, the report states, it will take until 2040, and probably longer, to repair or replace the homes that have been destroyed. Revitalizing the economy will be another enormous challenge, the report warns, given that the productive basis of the economy has been destroyed.
“The required investments in infrastructure, education, public health, food security and other basic social services which are essential for accelerating economic recovery are simply massive,” it said.
The analysis underscores the urgent need for a ceasefire agreement, together with sustained efforts to address the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and rebuild the Palestinian economy and its infrastructure. Every possible effort must be made to end the war, the report said, and reach a “lasting agreement between Israel and the State of Palestine and sincerely adhere to it.”
It added: “Until such time comes, saving lives is an immediate priority and, in parallel, the provision of adequate and timely humanitarian aid, especially for essential items such as food, medicine, clean water and fuel.
“Additional measures should be taken to avoid the destruction of the remaining civilian infrastructure and disruption of services, while setting in motion the recovery of the economy and acceleration of growth, and the creation of decent employment.”
Gaza destruction on scale unseen since Second World War, will take decades to rebuild, UN says
https://arab.news/jvyyd
Gaza destruction on scale unseen since Second World War, will take decades to rebuild, UN says
- Report by the UN Development Program highlights devastating effects of the conflict, which has set human development in the territory back by about 20 years
- It warns that in addition to the thousands of lives already lost, and the many people injured or maimed for life, the risk of ‘future lost generations is real’
Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador’s remarks on Israel’s right to Middle East land
- The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory”
JERUSALEM: Arab and Islamic countries issued a joint condemnation on Sunday of remarks by US ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, who suggested Israel had a biblical right to a vast swath of the Middle East.
Huckabee, a former Baptist minister and a fervent Israel supporter, was speaking on the podcast of far-right commentator and Israel critic Tucker Carlson.
In an episode released Friday, Carlson pushed Huckabee on the meaning of a biblical verse sometimes interpreted as saying that Israel is entitled to the land between the river Nile in Egypt and the Euphrates in Syria and Iraq.
In response, Huckabee said: “It would be fine if they took it all.”
When pressed, however, he continued that Israel was “not asking to take all of that,” adding: “It was somewhat of a hyperbolic statement.”
The backlash widened sharply on Sunday as more than a dozen Arab and Islamic governments — alongside three major regional organizations — issued a joint statement denouncing the US diplomat’s comments as “dangerous and inflammatory.”
The statement, released by the United Arab Emirates’ foreign ministry, was signed by the UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Indonesia, Pakistan, Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Lebanon, Syria and the State of Palestine, as well as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the Arab League and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
They said the comments contravene the UN Charter and efforts to de-escalate the Gaza war and advance a political horizon for a comprehensive settlement.
Iran joined the chorus with its foreign ministry accusing Huckabee on X of revealing “American active complicity” in what it called Israel’s “expansionist wars of aggression” against Palestinians.
Earlier, several Arab states had issued unilateral condemnations.
Saudi Arabia described the ambassador’s words as “reckless” and “irresponsible,” while Jordan said it was “an assault on the sovereignty of the countries of the region.”
Kuwait decried what it called a “flagrant violation of the principles of international law,” while Oman said the comments “threatened the prospects for peace” and stability in the region.
Egypt’s foreign ministry reaffirmed “that Israel has no sovereignty over the occupied Palestinian territory or any other Arab lands.”
The Palestinian Authority said on X that Huckabee’s words “contradict US President Donald Trump’s rejection of (Israel) annexing the West Bank.”
On Saturday, Huckabee published two posts on X further clarifying his position on other topics touched upon in the interview, but did not address his remark about the biblical verse.
The speaker of the Israeli parliament, Amir Ohana, praised Huckabee on X for his general pro-Israel stance in the interview, and accused Carlson of “falsehoods and manipulations.”
Carlson has recently found himself facing accusations of antisemitism, particularly following a lengthy, uncritical interview with self-described white nationalist Nick Fuentes — a figure who has praised Hitler, denied the Holocaust and branded American Jews as disloyal.










