As Jordan, US forces intercept Iranian drones bound for Israel, Tehran warns Amman against aiding Israel

1 / 2
Objects are seen in the sky above Jerusalem after Iran launched drones and missiles towards Israel, in Jerusalem April 14, 2024. (REUTERS)
2 / 2
An Iranian drone. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 April 2024
Follow

As Jordan, US forces intercept Iranian drones bound for Israel, Tehran warns Amman against aiding Israel

  • The US military operating from undisclosed bases in the region also shot down a number of Iranian drones in Sweida and Daraa provinces in southern Syria near the Jordanian border, security sources told Reuters

AMMAN: Jordanian jets downed dozens of Iranian drones flying across northern and central Jordan heading to Israel, triggering a warning from Tehran on Amman against aiding Israel.

Two regional security sources said the drones were brought down in the air on the Jordanian side of the Jordan Valley and were heading in the direction of Jerusalem.

Others were intercepted close to the Iraqi-Syrian border. They gave no further details.

The US military operating from undisclosed bases in the region also shot down a number of Iranian drones in Sweida and Daraa provinces in southern Syria near the Jordanian border, security sources told Reuters.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps said it launched dozens of drones and missiles at Israel in an attack that may trigger a major escalation between the regional archenemies.

Two regional security sources earlier said Jordan's air defenses were ready to intercept and shoot down any Iranian drones or aircraft that violate its airspace.

They said the army was also in a state of high alert and radar systems were monitoring any drone activity coming from the direction of Iraq and Syria.

Iran, meanwhile, said it is watching Jordan for any moves in support of Israel during Tehran’s retaliatory attacks, warning the country may become the “next target,” a military source told the semi-official news agency Fars on Sunday.

 

 

“A military informed source said (we) are closely monitoring Jordan’s movements during the punitive attacks ... and if they participate in any possible action (to back Israel), they will be the next target,” Fars reported.

Residents in several cities in the northern part of the country near Syria and central and southern areas heard heavy aerial activity. A security source said the country’s air force was intensifying reconnaissance flights.

Jordan had earlier said it closed its airspace starting on Saturday night to all incoming, departing and transiting aircraft in what officials told Reuters were precautionary measures in the event of an Iranian strike across its border.
“The relevant authorities took the decision to close the airspace for precautionary reasons as a result of the surrounding security situation,” Jordan’s government spokesperson Muhannad Mubaideen said.
Mubaideen denied media reports that the kingdom had announced a state of emergency, adding they were baseless and there was no cause for concern among its citizens.
Jordan neighbors Syria and Iraq – both countries where Iranian proxy forces operate – and also is next door to Israel and the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
It has watched Israel’s war against the Palestinian group Hamas, another Iranian ally, with rising alarm for fear of getting caught in a crossfire.
Late last year, Amman asked Washington to deploy Patriot air defense systems to Jordan to bolster its border defenses.
Officials say the Pentagon had since increased its military aid to the kingdom, a major regional ally, where hundreds of US troops are based and hold extensive exercises with the army throughout the year.
In January, three US service members were killed and dozens wounded in a drone attack by Iran-backed militants on US troops in northeastern Jordan near the Syrian border.
It was the first deadly strike against US forces since the Israel-Hamas war erupted in October, and marks a major escalation in tensions that have engulfed the Middle East.


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.