China says it patrolled the South China Sea in an apparent response to US naval drills with allies

A Chinese coastguard vessel approaches a Filipino fishing vessel in the South China Sea on April 4, 2024, in a handout photo by the Philippine Coast Guard that was released on April 6, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 07 April 2024
Follow

China says it patrolled the South China Sea in an apparent response to US naval drills with allies

  • China has long-simmering territorial disputes with a number of Southeast Asian nations in the South China Sea, a major shipping route

BEIJING: China’s military said Sunday that it had conducted air and sea patrols and that all activities that “disrupt the South China Sea” are under control, an apparent response to naval exercises by the US and its allies.

The defense chiefs of the United States, Japan, Australia and the Philippines announced Saturday that they would hold joint exercises in the sea to safeguard the rule of law and uphold the right to sail through and fly over the waters.

China has long-simmering territorial disputes with a number of Southeast Asian nations in the South China Sea, a major shipping route. Skirmishes with the Philippines in particular have flared up since last year.

The US has conducted joint patrols with the Philippines in a show of support. China says the US is inflaming tensions by meddling in the disputes.

A brief statement from the Chinese military’s Southern Theater Command said it had organized patrols and that “all military activities that disrupt the South China Sea and create hotspots are under control.”

The statement did not mention the US or the joint exercises.

Likewise, the US and its allies did not mention China in their statement, but the four countries reaffirmed their stance that a 2016 international arbitration ruling — which invalidated China’s expansive claims in the South China Sea — was final and legally binding.

The growing tensions in the disputed waters are expected to be high on the agenda when US President Joe Biden hosts his Japanese and Philippine counterparts in a summit at the White House this week.


More than 1,000 councilors in UK sign Palestine pledge

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

More than 1,000 councilors in UK sign Palestine pledge

  • Issue could prove decisive in local elections set for May, campaigners say
  • Campaign pledges councilors to ‘uphold inalienable rights of the Palestinian people’

LONDON: More than 1,000 local councilors in the UK have signed a pledge of solidarity with Palestine, in what could prove to be a crucial issue in upcoming elections, Sky News reported on Saturday.

Many Labour-run councils face the prospect of losing power in the local elections, set for May.

The issue of Palestine could play a decisive role in key sections of the electorate, campaigners have said.

The document, launched by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and signed by 1,028 councilors so far, pledges signatories to “uphold the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people” and prevent councils’ complicity in “Israel’s violations of international law,” including by divesting from pension funds invested in arms companies.

Zoe Garbett, a Hackney Green councilor who signed the pledge, told Sky News: “I think that this is really important to uphold the rights of the Palestinian people and to make sure that we can make ethical investments. They want to see their council representing them on a national level.”

She added: “We know that most people really want to see an end to the genocide in Gaza, and an end to wars and conflicts all across the world, and they want to see their local representatives standing up for them.”

Of the signatories to the pledge, 245 councilors are from the Green Party, 338 from Labour, 104 Liberal Democrats, 38 from the Scottish National Party, 17 from Plaid Cymru, 12 from Your Party, three Conservatives and many independents.

Labour has faced significant pressure from its traditional voter base over the issue of Gaza, especially after Prime Minister Keir Starmer appeared reluctant to call for a ceasefire.

Key London borough councils, dominated by Labour, have seen councilors sign up en masse to the pledge.

In Islington, a Labour stronghold, 59 percent of councilors signed the pledge, while 49 percent signed in Tower Hamlets.

Similar trends have taken place in Sheffield — where no party has overall council control — and Bradford.

Richard Burgon, Labour MP for Leeds East, said: “I think that so many Labour councilors have been so keen to sign the Palestine pledge as councilors because it puts on record that support for Palestine and distinguishes them from the position taken by the leader of the Labour Party.”

Alongside PSC, Britain’s most significant pro-Palestine group, the pledge is also supported by the Palestinian Youth Movement Britain, the Palestinian Forum in Britain, The Muslim Vote and the British Palestinian Committee.

PSC political organizer Dan Iley-Williamson said local councils in the UK “administer pension funds that invest more than £12 billion ($16 billion)” in weapons firms linked to Israel.

“The mass movement for Palestine — which has brought millions onto Britain’s streets — is not going away,” he added.