Pakistan rules out talks with TTP, urges Afghanistan to take action against militants

The screengrab taken from a video shared by Pakistan's foreign ministry shows foreign office spokesperson, Mumtaz Zahra Baloch, addressing a media briefing in Islamabad, Pakistan on April 4, 2024. (MOFA)
Short Url
Updated 04 April 2024
Follow

Pakistan rules out talks with TTP, urges Afghanistan to take action against militants

  • Foreign office responds to Afghan deputy interior minister’s suggestion for Islamabad, Pakistani Taliban to hold talks
  • Pakistan last month carried out airstrikes against alleged militant targets in Afghanistan, angering the Afghan Taliban

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s foreign office spokesperson on Thursday rejected an Afghan minister’s suggestion for Islamabad and the Pakistani Taliban to hold talks, urging Kabul to take action against militant groups operating from its soil.
Afghan Deputy Interior Minister Mohammad Nabi Omari on Wednesday urged Pakistan and the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) to resolve their disputes and start negotiations afresh.
The TTP or Pakistani Taliban have carried out some of the deadliest attacks in Pakistan since 2007. These attacks have surged post-November 2022 after a fragile truce brokered by the Afghan Taliban between Islamabad and TTP broke down.
“I will reiterate what we have said in the past. Pakistan is not holding any talks with a terrorist organization, the TTP,” Mumtaz Zahra Baloch, the foreign office spokesperson, told reporters during a weekly press briefing.
“We have no plans to hold these talks with TTP.”
She called on the Afghan government to take action against militant groups and their leadership “for the crimes they are committing and the terrorist incidents they are responsible for in Pakistan.”
Baloch said Pakistan’s law enforcement agencies are in the process of taking action against militant groups, specifically the one that killed five Chinese nationals last week in a suicide attack in northwestern Pakistan.
“At this point, what I can say is that Pakistan remains committed to fight against all terror groups and all forces which have targeted Pakistan and have targeted symbols of Pakistan-China friendship, including the latest attack in Bisham,” she said.
Security experts endorsed the foreign office stance, asserting that Pakistan had no choice but to take strict action against militant outfits like the TTP, particularly in light of the recent killings of Chinese workers.
“Pakistan considers Afghan Taliban’s suggestion to negotiate with the terrorist outfit as evidence of Kabul’s sympathy and support for the TTP,” Syed Muhammad Ali, an Islamabad-based security analyst, told Arab News.
He said this also reflected Kabul’s reluctance to implement the Doha Accord which required the interim Afghan administration to ensure that its territory was not used by militant groups.
Ali noted that Islamabad attributed the recent rise in militant attacks in the country as a direct outcome of Kabul’s decision to extend “hospitality” toward militant outfits in Afghan territory.
He pointed out that Islamabad had repeatedly said that militant violence was a common threat to both Pakistan and Afghanistan, emphasizing the necessity to jointly deal with it.
Another defense analyst, Brig. (r) Dr. Raashid Wali Janjua, said Pakistan would have to fight its way out of the quagmire.
“There is no possibility of engaging in talks with terrorist entities,” he told Arab News.
“However, if such talks were to occur, they would focus solely on one agenda, the TTP renouncing violence, surrendering their weapons, and individuals involved in criminal activities turning themselves in to the authorities for appropriate action as this is the only viable path forward,” he added.
Militancy has soured relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan since August 2021 when the Taliban seized power in Kabul.
Last month, seven Pakistani soldiers, including two army officers, were killed in a militant attack, the Pakistani military said.
The attack led the Pakistani military to carry out rare airstrikes against suspected TTP hideouts inside Afghanistan on March 18, killing eight people. The strikes prompted Afghan forces to fire heavy weapons at Pakistani soldiers along the border.


Pakistan hockey chief resigns after ‘shabby’ winless Australia tour

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan hockey chief resigns after ‘shabby’ winless Australia tour

  • Captain Ammad Butt says players washed clothes and dishes at substandard accommodation due to unpaid hotel bills
  • Three-time Olympic champions and four-time World Cup winners Pakistan have fallen to 14th in the world rankings

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s hockey chief resigned on Thursday, a day after the prime minister ordered an inquiry into a shambolic tour of Australia that saw the national team scrubbing dishes in a guest house.

Tariq Bugti, who headed the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), stepped down following complaints by national team players in last week’s whitewash tour, and after premier Shehbaz Sharif launched a probe.

While cricket is hugely popular in Pakistan, field hockey is the country’s national sport.
But Pakistan — three-time Olympic champions and four-time World Cup winners — have plummeted to as low as 14th in the international rankings.

Team captain Ammad Butt slammed the PHF, blaming the body for not paying for a hotel, with players forced to wash their clothes and dishes at what they deemed substandard accommodation in Hobart, Tasmania.

Ahead of the Australia tour, players boycotted a training camp over non-payment of a daily allowance of $110 — their only income with no match fees or central contracts.

“I am tired of the tension which we have suffered in the last year,” Butt told AFP.

“First I had to fight for the daily allowances and now this shabby treatment on the tour.”

Butt said when the players landed in Sydney en-route to Hobart for the second round of their Pro League fixtures, they had to roam the streets with no hotel to stay in.

“When we reached Hobart, the management told us it did not have sufficient funds to pay the hotel charges and we had to live in a guest house,” Butt said.

“The players had to prepare their breakfast, do dishwashing and wash clothes. In this situation what kind of performance could a player produce for the team?“

Pakistan have lost every one of their eight matches in the Pro League, losing 3-0 and 3-2 to Australia and 5-2 and 3-1 to Germany — all in Hobart.

They lost to Argentina and the Netherlands in the first round in December.

“I resign from my post,” Bugti said in a press conference on Thursday, calling for an investigation after Butt “threatened the management on the tour.”

Pakistan have not qualified for the last three Olympics and were 12th when they last played a World Cup in 2018.

Next month, Pakistan will feature in a qualifying round in Egypt to claim a place in the next World Cup, hosted by the Netherlands and Belgium in August.