Rights groups urge UN to release findings on Israeli killing of journalist in Lebanon

Short Url
Updated 29 March 2024
Follow

Rights groups urge UN to release findings on Israeli killing of journalist in Lebanon

  • The letter signed by 16 organization said release ‘necessary to support other justice and accountability efforts’
  • Issa Abdallah was killed on Oct. 13 in what some investigators say was ‘deliberate strike’ on press

LONDON: Human rights groups have urged the UN’s peacekeeping force in Lebanon to publicly release the findings of a probe into Israel’s killing of a Reuters videographer last year.

Issa Abdallah was killed and six other journalists from Reuters, Agence France-Presse and Al Jazeera were injured in the strike on Oct. 13.

Investigations launched by Human Rights Watch, Reuters and AFP concluded that the attack was a deliberate strike by the Israeli military against media workers wearing visible press vests.

The letter to the UN was sent by 16 NGOs and journalist groups, including HRW, MENA Rights Group, The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy and Reporters Without Borders.

It was addressed to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, UNIFIL Force Commander Lieutenant General Aroldo Lazaro Saenz, UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon Joanna Wronecka and Under-Secretary-General for Peace Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix.

“The Reuters report suggests that the UNIFIL investigation corroborated the findings of investigations conducted by Reporters Without Borders, Reuters, AFP, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch,” the organizations said in the letter.

“We, therefore, request that UNIFIL make its full investigation public in accordance with the UN’s commitment to transparency.”

The request follows mounting concern that the UN’s findings may not be released to the public, a scenario the group notes “is not without precedent.

“If UNIFIL is currently unable to make the full report public, we ask you to make a public statement explaining why and providing a timeline for when publication will occur. In such instances, a redacted or summarized version of the report should be released in the interim,” the letter said.

The release of the findings is “necessary to support other justice and accountability efforts,” it added.

Reuters staff, who saw a copy of the seven-page summary of the investigation dated to February this year, said UNIFIL found that an Israeli tank killed Abdallah by firing two 120 mm rounds at a group of “clearly identifiable journalists,” in violation of international law.

The investigators added that UNIFIL personnel did not record any exchange of fire across the border between Israel and Lebanon for more than 40 minutes before the Israeli Merkava tank opened fire.

If confirmed, the strikes could be investigated as a war crime, a demand previously made by HRW and Amnesty International.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.