Sindh High Court orders Pakistan telecom authority to restore online platforms including X

In this file photo, taken on December 24, 2020, people walk outside the Sindh high court in Karachi. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 21 February 2024
Follow

Sindh High Court orders Pakistan telecom authority to restore online platforms including X

  • Platform X disrupted across Pakistan for a fourth day on Wednesday, after election marred by allegations of rigging
  • Netblocks says blockade is “longest of several Internet censorship measures tracked through the election period”

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Wednesday directed the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority (PTA) to restore social media platforms including X across Pakistan, a lawyer who had filed a petition against the ongoing blockade said.
The platform X was disrupted across Pakistan for a fourth day on Wednesday, after a general election marred by allegations of rigging. It first went down on Saturday night when a senior government official made a public admission of vote manipulation in the February 8 polls.
“Today, the Sindh High Court issued directions to the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority to promptly restore access to all social media platforms, including X, following our petition challenging the Internet and social media shutdown,” lawyer Jibran Nasir told Arab News.
“The Court not only expressed displeasure at the violation of its orders but also raised concerns about the conduct of elections and the suppression of post-election controversies through the blocking of social media access.”
PTA spokesperson Malahat Obaid and Information Minister Murtaza Solangi both declined comment, saying the interior ministry should be contacted. An interior ministry spokesperson did not respond to phone calls or messages seeking comment.
On Tuesday, Internet observatory Netblocks said X had been restricted in Pakistan “past the 72 hour mark.”
“The incident is the longest of several Internet censorship measures tracked through the election period,” the body said.


Mobile Internet services were cut across the country on polling day, with the interior ministry citing security reasons.
The blackout, coupled with a long delay in issuing results, gave rise to allegations of rigging from multiple parties, particularly jailed former prime minister Imran Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) party which called for nationwide protests.
In Washington, the State Department said it supported the right to Internet access without commenting on whether the United States has raised the issue with Pakistan.
“As a general matter, we want Internet platforms to be available to people in Pakistan and around the world,” State Department spokesman Matthew Miller told reporters.
PTI defied a months-long crackdown that restricted its campaigning and forced candidates to run as independents, with PTI-backed candidates gaining more seats than any other party.
But it has been unwilling to enter a coalition with its opponents, paving the way for the PML-N and PPP parties to form the next government.
PTI also faced online censorship in the build up to the election.
Pakistani Internet freedom watchdog Bytes For All recorded four separate hours-long social media shutdowns in January, cutting off access to TikTok, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube while Khan’s PTI live-streamed to its supporters.
With inputs from AFP


Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

  • Multiple people were injured in the attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • It comes days after militants rammed explosive-laden vehicle into checkpost, killing 12 people

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpost jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.