UK veterans minister believes SAS carried out unlawful killing of Afghan civilians

Britain's Minister of State for Veterans’ Affairs Johnny Mercer arrives to 10 Downing Street in London. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 February 2024
Follow

UK veterans minister believes SAS carried out unlawful killing of Afghan civilians

  • Mercer recounted receiving two warnings in 2017 about the seriousness of the allegations

LONDON: The British minister for veterans admitted during a public inquiry on Tuesday that he believes members of the UK Special Air Service (SAS) were involved in dozens of unlawful killings of Afghan civilians from 2010 to 2013, the Guardian reported.

Former army officer Johnny Mercer expressed his initial skepticism about claims that elite British forces had killed Afghans in their sleep or during night raids, yet admitted he found no evidence to refute these allegations.

In his testimony, Mercer highlighted his personal connection to the SAS, mentioning “friends who were killed in operations, I have friends who were never the same person again after Afghanistan.”

He continued: “I don’t want to believe it but at every stage I have tried to find something to disprove these allegations but I have been unable to.”

Mercer’s evidence covered his experiences from his last tour in Afghanistan in 2010 up until his tenure as minister for veterans affairs, first between 2019 and 2021 and then from July of the current year, the Guardian reported.

He recounted receiving two warnings in 2017 about the seriousness of the allegations while he was a member of Parliament and while he was actively campaigning against a series of largely unfounded claims of misconduct by British soldiers in Iraq.

One was from a senior officer who warned him about the scale of the official investigation into SAS summary killings.

The second was a fellow former soldier who had said he had been asked to carry a “dropped weapon” to fabricate evidence to justify the summary execution of Afghan civilians during night operations in Helmand province.

However, Mercer refused to reveal the names of those who had warned him, either in public or in writing, the Guardian reported.

“This has been a prolonged saga for me over many years and my faith in the system to interrogate these issues is not where it needs to be for that type of thing,” Mercer said.

Inquiry counsel Oliver Glasgow told him that failing to provide the names would “considerably hamper” the investigation.

Mercer replied: “The one thing you can hold on to is your integrity, and I will be doing that with these individuals.”

He added: “The simple reality at this stage is I’m not prepared to burn them — not when, in my judgment, you are already speaking to people who have far greater knowledge of what was going on.”uk


Saudi ambassador becomes first foreign envoy to meet Bangladesh’s new PM

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Saudi ambassador becomes first foreign envoy to meet Bangladesh’s new PM

  • Tarique Rahman took oath as PM last week after landslide election win
  • Ambassador Abdullah bin Abiyah also meets Bangladesh’s new FM

Dhaka: Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Dhaka became on Sunday the first foreign envoy to meet Bangladesh’s new Prime Minister Tarique Rahman since he assumed the country’s top office.

Rahman’s Bangladesh Nationalist Party made a landslide win in the Feb. 12 election, securing an absolute majority with 209 seats in the 300-seat parliament.

The son of former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia and former President and BNP founder Ziaur Rahman, he was sworn in as the prime minister last week.

The Saudi government congratulated Rahman on the day he took the oath of office, and the Kingdom’s Ambassador Abdullah bin Abiyah was received by the premier in the Bangladesh Secretariat, where he also met Bangladesh’s new foreign minister.

“Among the ambassadors stationed in Dhaka, this is the first ambassadorial visit with Prime Minister Tarique Rahman since he assumed office,” Saleh Shibli, the prime minister’s press secretary, told Arab News.

“The ambassador conveyed greetings and best wishes to Bangladesh’s prime minister from the king and crown prince of Saudi Arabia … They discussed bilateral matters and ways to strengthen the ties among Muslim countries.”

Rahman’s administration succeeded an interim government that oversaw preparations for the next election following the 2024 student-led uprising, which toppled former leader Sheikh Hasina and ended her Awami League party’s 15-year rule.

New Cabinet members were sworn in during the same ceremony as the prime minister last week.

Foreign Minister Khalilur Rahman is a former UN official who served as Bangladesh’s national security adviser during the interim government’s term.

He received Saudi Arabia’s ambassador after the envoy’s meeting with the prime minister.

“The foreign minister expressed appreciation for the Saudi leadership’s role in promoting peace and stability in the Middle East and across the Muslim Ummah. He also conveyed gratitude for hosting a large number of Bangladeshi workers in the Kingdom and underscored the significant potential for expanding cooperation across trade, investment, energy, and other priority sectors, leveraging the geostrategic positions of both countries,” the ministry said in a statement.

“The Saudi ambassador expressed his support to the present government and his intention to work with the government to enhance the current bilateral relationship to a comprehensive relationship.”

Around 3.5 million Bangladeshis live and work in Saudi Arabia. They have been joining the Saudi labor market since 1976, when work migration to the Kingdom was established during the rule of the new prime minister’s father.

Bangladeshis are the largest expat group in the Kingdom and the largest Bangladeshi community outside Bangladesh and send home more than $5 billion in remittances every year.