‘I don’t have a lot of time’: Gaza journalist goes missing after alarming last message

Shouman has used social media as a platform to provide daily updates on the conflict, reaching millions of English-speaking individuals. (X/File)
Short Url
Updated 30 January 2024
Follow

‘I don’t have a lot of time’: Gaza journalist goes missing after alarming last message

  • Unverified reports suggest Mansour Shouman was taken into custody by Israeli army

LONDON: Canadian-Palestinian journalist Mansour Shouman is believed to have gone missing more than a week after his last message, in which he expressed a sense of urgency, saying he did not “have a lot of time.”

Unverified reports from local aid workers, whom Shouman was assisting, suggest that he has been taken into custody by the Israel Defence Forces.

“They said they saw him leave the Nasser Hospital to go to Rafah and that he was apprehended on his way by the IDF,” said Shadi Sakr, a member of the volunteer team in Canada that helps Shouman post videos online.

Another member of the Canadian team informed The Canadian Press that three eyewitnesses claimed to have seen Shouman being taken by the Israeli army as he departed from Khan Younis to go to Rafah.

Sakr mentioned that the last communication from Shouman was on Jan. 21 at 3:02 p.m. ET, when he sent a video from the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis.

“Please get this back to me quickly. I don’t have a lot of time,” Shouman reportedly said.

The Israeli army has yet to issue a comment on the matter.

Canadian officials have acknowledged the situation, stating that they are aware of a man from Calgary missing in Gaza and are “continuing to monitor the situation closely.”

Shouman, who obtained Canadian citizenship in 2006, relocated to Palestine with his family from Calgary in 2022.

Despite his family’s relocation to the UAE in November, Shouman chose to remain in Gaza to assist in reporting on the situation.

In the months that followed, he used social media as a platform to provide daily updates on the conflict, reaching millions of English-speaking individuals.

Mai Hussein, Shouman’s mother, made a heartfelt appeal to the authorities on her son’s page on X, expressing her anguish.

“My heart is burning. I want to hear news about him,” she pleaded.

Shouman’s disappearance has triggered outrage and deep concern across social media platforms and throughout the streets of Canada.

An online petition calling for his immediate release has garnered over 120,000 signatures, while protests advocating for his freedom took place in both Ottawa and Calgary over the weekend.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.