Formula E renews exclusive partnership with Saudi Sports Company

Short Url
Updated 27 January 2024
Follow

Formula E renews exclusive partnership with Saudi Sports Company

  • Saudi Sports Company extends broadcast rights for Formula E with enhanced coverage on SSC Sports, Shahid platform and MBC Action

RIYADH: In a landmark move for motorsport broadcasting in the Middle East and North Africa region, Formula E has announced the renewal of its media partnership exclusively with the Saudi Sports Company for the next three seasons.

This extended agreement includes more comprehensive year-round coverage on SSC, Shahid and MBC Action, including live coverage of the Diriyah E-Prix.

SSC 2, the dedicated motorsport channel, will complement its offering of extensive live broadcasting of all races and qualifying sessions with new highlights packages.

In addition, Shahid, the Arabic language streaming platform by MBC Group, will offer coverage of every racing session, along with other exclusive Formula E programs.

Meanwhile, the MBC Action channel will enhance this coverage by broadcasting live the qualifying and race sessions of both Diriyah races. Additionally, it will provide highlights coverage for all races.

The agreement encompasses the exclusive broadcast rights in both English and Arabic across Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq,  Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, the UAE and Yemen.

Aarti Dabas, chief media officer, Formula E said: “We are absolutely delighted to renew our partnership with the Saudi Sports Company, providing expanded coverage and marking a significant milestone for the Formula E Championship in the MENA region. This collaboration is a testament to our shared commitment to bringing exhilarating motorsport action to our fans.”


Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

  • Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments
  • Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue

MANCHESTER: Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been reminded of his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” after he triggered a storm of criticism for claiming Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.
But England’s Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments, which were widely condemned by political figures, including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, and the club’s supporters.
The governing body issued Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities when taking part in media interviews, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
British billionaire Ratcliffe, who owns petrochemicals giant INEOS, made the comments during an interview with Sky News, which aired last week.
“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “I mean, the UK’s been colonized.”
Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue. He later said he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people.”
Starmer had earlier called for him to apologize, saying “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.”
United fans, who are proud of the diversity within the team and their supporter base, also condemned his words.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust said the “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.”
Critics accused Ratcliffe of “hypocrisy,” saying he has chosen to make his home in Monaco to reduce his UK tax bill.
Carrick proud of Man United’s culture
United’s head coach, Michael Carrick, said earlier Friday that the Premier League club was proud of their culture of equality and diversity.
Carrick, who was recently hired as coach until the end of the season, faced the media for the first time since Ratcliffe’s remarks and he was asked for his response.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement on the back of it so for me to add to that is not my place,” he said. “What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally.
“We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”