UAE Food Bank distributes 18.6m meals in 2023

Members of the UAE Food Bank packing boxes of food surplus. (WAM)
Short Url
Updated 22 January 2024
Follow

UAE Food Bank distributes 18.6m meals in 2023

  • Food back diverted 6,000 tonnes of food from landfills in 2023

DUBAI: UAE Food Bank projects last year helped more than 18 million people around the world, the Emirates News Agency reported on Monday.

The charity, which falls under the Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum Global Initiatives, was founded with the aim of distributing surplus food to those in need while also reducing food waste.

In 2023, it received funding from 800 donors, including local and international charities and food businesses.

The UAE Food Bank’s annual results showed it was funded to the tune of approximately 14.7 million Emirati dirhams ($4 million) and diverted 6,000 tonnes of food from landfills.

The organization’s goal is to achieve a 30 percent cut in food waste by 2027, as well as lowering environmental pollution and food waste-related emissions.

Throughout last year, it collected items including fruit and vegetables, prepared meals, rice, wheat and its derivatives, pasta, meat, dairy and cheese products, other grocery items, chocolate, and water.

As part of relief efforts following earthquakes in Turkiye and Syria, the UAE Food Bank delivered approximately 293 tonnes of food to the Emirates Red Crescent. Additionally, it sent 54 tonnes of food to Libya after floods there and another 60 tonnes as part of the Compassion for Gaza relief campaign.

Manal bin Yaroof, head of the UAE Food Bank’s executive team, said the results for 2023 exceeded performance indicators by 100 percent of the set targets, with it distributing more than 18.6 million meals.

During the same year, it forged at least 32 strategic alliances with public- and private-sector institutions, humanitarian organizations, charities, and food establishments.

The partnerships included 25 agreements to provide surplus food, three collaborations to reduce food waste and contribute funds, and one deal to recycle food waste.
 


Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

Updated 35 min 44 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon condemns deadly Israeli strikes on south and east

  • Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts”
  • A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president on Saturday condemned deadly Israeli attacks on his country carried out a day prior, the latest despite a ceasefire with militant group Hezbollah.
In a statement, Joseph Aoun called the attacks “a blatant act of aggression aimed at thwarting diplomatic efforts” by the United States and other nations to establish stability.
A lawmaker from Hezbollah called on Beirut to suspend meetings of a multinational committee tasked with monitoring the truce.
Washington is one of five members on the committee overseeing the ceasefire implemented in November 2024, with the body scheduled to meet again next week.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon despite the ceasefire, usually saying it is targeting Hezbollah but occasionally also the group’s Palestinian ally Hamas.
The Friday attacks on southern and eastern Lebanon killed 12 people, according to the health ministry, 10 of them in the east of the country.
Israel’s military said it struck “several terrorists of Hezbollah’s missile array in three different command centers in the Baalbek area.”
Hezbollah said a commander was killed in the raids. Its lawmaker Rami Abu Hamdan said on Saturday the group “will not accept the authorities acting as mere political analysts, dismissing these as Israeli strikes we have grown accustomed to before every meeting of the committee.”
He called on Beirut to “suspend the committee’s meetings until the enemy ceases its attacks.”
Hezbollah, while weakened following war with Israel, remains a strong political force in Lebanon represented in parliament.
Lebanon’s government last year committed to disarming the group, with the army saying last month it had completed the first phase of the plan covering the area near the Israeli border.
Israel, which accuses Hezbollah of rearming since the war, has called the Lebanese army’s progress on disarming the militant group insufficient.