Pakistan fail to qualify for Paris Olympics after 2-3 loss to New Zealand in Oman

Pakistan and New Zealand players fight for the ball during the Hockey Olympics Qualifier 2024 in Muscat on January 21, 2024. (Photo courtesy: International Hockey Federation)
Short Url
Updated 21 January 2024
Follow

Pakistan fail to qualify for Paris Olympics after 2-3 loss to New Zealand in Oman

  • This is the third time Pakistan have failed to qualify for the Olympics 
  • New Zealand join Germany, Great Britain for Olympics in July-August 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan men’s hockey team failed to make it to the Paris Olympics after they suffered a 2-3 defeat against New Zealand in the qualifying match in Oman on Sunday.
After winning the match, New Zealand have joined Germany and Great Britain for Paris Olympics, scheduled to be held in July and August this year.
In Sunday’s match, Abu Mahmood scored a goal for Pakistan via a penalty corner in the 18th minute. New Zealand’s Scott Boyde scored a goal in the 24th minute to level the score.
Pakistan regained the lead shortly afterwards, which was again levelled by Inglis Hugo. A spirited New Zealand scored again in the 58th minute, leaving Pakistan with little time to turn around the game.
“New Zealand trail twice, but come back each time and defeat Pakistan in the bronze medal match at the FIH Hockey Olympic Qualifiers in Oman, to punch their ticket to the Olympic Games #Paris2024,” the International Hockey Federation, or the Fédération Internationale de Hockey (FIH), wrote on X.

This is the third time Pakistan have failed to qualify for the Olympics. The three-time Olympic gold medalists failed to secure a berth in Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020 too.
On Saturday, Germany defeated Pakistan 4-0 in the semifinal of the Paris Olympics Qualifiers.
Pakistan secured a spot in the semifinals of the qualifiers after their last group match against Malaysia concluded in a 3-3 draw on Thursday.
Paris will host the XXXIII Olympic Summer Games from July 26 to August 11 this year. 


Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 59 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

  • Multiple people were injured in the attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • It comes days after militants rammed explosive-laden vehicle into checkpost, killing 12 people

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpost jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.