Media rights group urges probe into Israel’s killing of Gaza journalists

Persistent allegations of harassment, detention and obstruction of journalists, coupled with accusations of deliberate targeting, have been leveled against Israel. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 08 January 2024
Follow

Media rights group urges probe into Israel’s killing of Gaza journalists

  • Hamza Al-Dahdouh and Mustafa Thuraya were killed on Monday in a drone strike in south Gaza
  • Death toll of media workers killed since Oct. 7 climbs to 79

LONDON: The Committee to Protect Journalists has called for an independent investigation into Israel’s potential targeting of two Gaza journalists who were killed on Monday.

An Israeli drone strike killed Al Jazeera reporter Hamza Al-Dahdouh, son of Al-Jazeera Gaza bureau chief Wael Al-Dahdouh, along with a freelance videographer who worked for Agence France Press, Mustafa Thuraya.

At least one other person was injured in the strike, which occurred outside of Khan Younis in the Gaza Strip, according to news reports.

CPJ’s Middle East and North Africa Program Coordinator, Sherif Mansour, called for an independent inquiry into the strike, saying: “The killings of journalists Hamza Al-Dahdouh and Mustafa Thuraya must be independently investigated, and those behind their deaths must be held accountable.

He added: “The continuous killings of journalists and their family members by Israeli army fire must end: Journalists are civilians, not targets.”

The media watchdog reported that since the onset of the conflict, at least 79 journalists and media workers have lost their lives, marking its highest casualty count in a war over more than 30 years of record-keeping.

Persistent allegations of harassment, detention and obstruction of journalists, coupled with accusations of deliberate targeting, have been leveled against Israel.

In December, separate investigations by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Reuters and AFP focused on the Oct. 13 strike in southern Lebanon that killed Reuters videographer Issam Abdallah and left six other journalists injured.

The findings indicated a probable intentional assault by the Israel Defense Forces, targeting civilians, with Aya Majzoub, Amnesty International’s deputy regional director for the Middle East and North Africa, warning that such attacks violate international humanitarian law and may constitute war crimes.

“Israel says it does not target journalists. It needs to explain whether it used one of its drones for a precision attack on these two journalists and why it launched strikes on those like Reuters journalist Issam Abdallah, who was clearly wearing press insignia and away from direct fighting,” Mansour said.

The Israel-Hamas conflict has taken a severe toll on the media community, with numerous journalists and family members losing their lives since the conflict began on Oct. 7.

Wael Al-Dahdouh, according to a statement from Al-Jazeera and Politico, has lost five family members in Israeli attacks, including his wife, daughter, son and grandson.

Sherif Mansour acknowledged the sacrifices made by the Al-Dahdouh family and their colleagues in Gaza, saying: “The Al-Dahdouh family and their journalist colleagues in Gaza are rewriting what it means to be a journalist today with immensely brave and never-seen-before sacrifices.”

On Sunday, an IDF spokesperson said that the two journalists were traveling in a vehicle alongside a terror operative operating a drone “in a way that put IDF forces at risk.”

Witnesses told AFP that two rockets were fired at the car — one hit the front of the vehicle and the other hit Al-Dahdouh, who was sitting next to the driver.

Thuraya and Al-Dahdouh had been tasked with filming the aftermath of a strike on a house in Rafah and their car was hit while they were returning, AFP correspondents said.

In a statement, Al Jazeera accused Israel of deliberately targeting the reporters and vowed to take “all legal measures to prosecute the perpetrators of these crimes.”


Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

  • The regulator says Grok has created and shared sexualized images of real people, including children. Researchers say some examples appear to involve minors
  • X also faces other probes in Europe over illegal content and user safety

LONDON: Elon Musk’s social media platform X faces a European Union privacy investigation after its Grok AI chatbot started spitting out nonconsensual deepfake images, Ireland’s data privacy regulator said Tuesday.
Ireland’s Data Protection Commission said it notified X on Monday that it was opening the inquiry under the 27-nation EU’s strict data privacy regulations, adding to the scrutiny X is facing in Europe and other parts of the world over Grok’s behavior.
Grok sparked a global backlash last month after it started granting requests from X users to undress people with its AI image generation and editing capabilities, including putting females in transparent bikinis or revealing clothing. Researchers said some images appeared to include children. The company later introduced some restrictions on Grok, though authorities in Europe weren’t satisfied.
The Irish watchdog said its investigation focuses on the apparent creation and posting on X of “potentially harmful” nonconsensual intimate or sexualized images containing or involving personal data from Europeans, including children.
X did not respond to a request for comment.
Grok was built by Musk’s artificial intelligence company xAI and is available through X, where its responses to user requests are publicly visible.
The watchdog said the investigation will seek to determine whether X complied with the EU data privacy rules known as GDPR, or the General Data Protection Regulation. Under the rules, the Irish regulator takes the lead on enforcing the bloc’s privacy rules because X’s European headquarters is in Dublin. Violations can result in hefty fines.
The regulator “has been engaging” with X since media reports started circulating weeks earlier about “the alleged ability of X users to prompt the @Grok account on X to generate sexualized images of real people, including children,” Deputy Commissioner Graham Doyle said in a press statement.
Spain’s government has ordered prosecutors to investigate X, Meta and TikTok for alleged crimes related to the creation and proliferation of AI-generated child sex abuse material on their platforms, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said on Tuesday.
“These platforms are attacking the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters,” Sánchez wrote on X.
Spain announced earlier this month that it was pursuing a ban on access to social media platforms for under-16s.
Earlier this month, French prosecutors raided X’s Paris offices and summoned Musk for questioning. Meanwhile, the data privacy and media regulators in Britain, which has left the EU, have opened their own investigations into X.
The platform is already facing a separate EU investigation from Brussels over whether it has been complying with the bloc’s digital rulebook for protecting social media users that requires platforms to curb the spread of illegal content such as child sexual abuse material.