Australia’s David Warner out for 34 in farewell Test as rain thwarts Pakistan

Australia's David Warner walks off the field after his dismissal during the second day of the third cricket Test match against Pakistan at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Sydney on January 4, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 January 2024
Follow

Australia’s David Warner out for 34 in farewell Test as rain thwarts Pakistan

  • Sydney Cricket Ground is known for soggy weather, with more washed-out days than any other Australian venue
  • Australia clinched the three-match series with a tense 79-run win in the second Test in Melbourne over Christmas

SYDNEY: Pakistan captured the key wickets of Australia openers David Warner and Usman Khawaja before rain washed out the second day’s play in the third Test in Sydney on Thursday.

Marnus Labuschagne was on 23 and Steve Smith six in their team’s 116 for two before play was ended by bad light and rain before tea.

The hosts trailed by 197 runs on a day where Warner was denied a crack at a cherished century in his 112th and final Test match.

Warner was dismissed for 34 and looked annoyed as he left the Sydney Cricket Ground to a standing ovation from his home crowd.

The 37-year-old opener, known throughout cricket as “the Bull,” was beaten by the extra bounce and turn out of the rough by offspinner Agha Salman.

He edged a catch off the shoulder of his bat to a delighted Babar Azam at slip.

Warner, who still has a potential second innings to bat in his last Test, has now scored 8,729 Test runs since his 2011 debut at an average of 44.53 with 26 centuries.

He had a reprieve when he was put down on 20 by young debutant Saim Ayub at first slip in Aamer Jamal’s first over.

It continued a wretched time for Pakistan in the field in this series with a number of dropped chances.

Ayub put his head down in anguish after fluffing the simple chance, which came after his two-ball duck in Wednesday’s first innings of his first Test match.

Khawaja, who averages 130 in Tests at the SCG, fell to a gloved catch down the leg-side off Jamal for 47, that was detected on review after a patient 143 balls at the crease.

Australia still have a strong batting lineup to come with Smith averaging 72 in 11 Tests at the famous SCG and Labuschagne 76 at the ground.

Travis Head and Mitchell Marsh, who already has scores of 90, 63 not out and 96 in this series, will be next in.

The rain interruption continued the Sydney Test’s soggy weather reputation. The SCG has suffered 26 washed-out days, the most of any Australian Test ground.

Australia clinched the three-match series with a tense 79-run win in the second Test in Melbourne over Christmas.


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”