Iran’s supreme leader leads prayers during funeral of senior Guards adviser

People carry the coffin of senior adviser for Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Sayyed Razi Mousavi, who was killed in an Israeli air strike outside the Syrian capital Damascus, during his funeral in Najaf, Iraq. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 28 December 2023
Follow

Iran’s supreme leader leads prayers during funeral of senior Guards adviser

  • His body was flown from Syria to Najaf in Iraq before being taken to Tehran
  • Mourners chanted “Death to America, Death to Israel” during funeral service for Mousavi in Iraq

NAJAF, Iraq: Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei led prayers on Thursday at the funeral of Sayyed Razi Mousavi, a senior Revolutionary Guards adviser who was killed in what Iran said was an Israeli air strike in Syria.
Khamenei paid tribute “to this martyr’s tireless struggle and called for his companionship with the guardians of God,” state TV said.
His body was flown from Syria to the holy Shiite city of Najaf in Iraq before being taken to Tehran.
An Israeli military spokesperson declined specific comment about Mousavi’s death on Monday, but said it took whatever action that was necessary to defend the country.
Since the eruption of war between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas on Oct. 7, Iran-backed groups have mounted operations against Israel, while others, including militias in Iraq, have threatened US interests.
Israel has for years carried out attacks against what it describes as Iran-linked targets in Syria, where Tehran’s influence has grown since it backed President Bashar Assad in the civil war that erupted in Syria in 2011.


Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

Updated 58 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

  • Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children

ROJ CAMP: Syrian Kurdish forces on Monday released 34 Australians from a camp ​holding families of suspected Daesh militants in northern Syria, saying they would be flown to Australia from Damascus.
Hukmiya Mohamed, a co-director of Roj camp, told Reuters that the ‌34 Australians ‌had been ​released ‌to ⁠members ​of their families ⁠who had come to Syria for the release. They were put on small buses for Damascus.
Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children.
Thousands of ​people believed ‌to be linked to Daesh militants have been held at Roj and a second camp, Al-Hol, since the militant group was driven ‌from its final territorial foothold in Syria in 2019.
Syrian ⁠government ⁠forces seized swathes of northern Syria from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in January, before agreeing a ceasefire on January 29.
The US military last week completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male Daesh detainees from Syria to ​Iraq.