Icelandic musicians demand Eurovision boycott over Israel’s involvement

Israeli Noa Kirel, who previously served in the Israel Defense Forces, came third in the 2023 competition. (Screenshot/YouTube)
Short Url
Updated 18 December 2023
Follow

Icelandic musicians demand Eurovision boycott over Israel’s involvement

  • Icelandic Association of Composers and Lyricists said TV channel RUV should halt its participation in the show if Israel is not banned

LONDON: Musicians in Iceland have demanded their country’s national broadcaster boycotts next year’s Eurovision Song Contest if Israel is allowed to compete.

The Icelandic Association of Composers and Lyricists said TV channel RUV should halt its participation in the show if Israel is not banned, it was reported on Monday.

A statement by the FTT said: “We all have a duty to take a stand against war and the killing of civilians and innocent children.

“We always have the choice not to put our name to such things, whether we are individuals or state institutions.

“We owe it to the nations that act with military force to not share with them in an event that is always characterized by joy and optimism.”

The calls for a boycott have been backed by pro-Palestinian activists across Europe, while Ireland’s RTE channel has also received hundreds of requests for it to boycott the competition, Sky News reported.

The grand final of the competition will take place on May 11 in Malmo, Sweden, after Swedish artist Loreen won the competition for a second time earlier this year.

Israeli Noa Kirel, who previously served in the Israel Defense Forces, came third in the 2023 competition, which was held in Liverpool in the UK.

Calls for Israel’s exclusion echo similar demands that Russia be banned from the 2022 edition, following its invasion of Ukraine in February of that year.

The show’s organizers, the European Broadcasting Union, excluded Russian artists from that year’s competition, which was won by Ukraine.


US lawmaker Fine criticized by rights advocates, Democrats after anti-Muslim remarks

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

US lawmaker Fine criticized by rights advocates, Democrats after anti-Muslim remarks

  • Fine’s past comments ⁠include ⁠calling for the mass expulsion of all Muslims from the US, labeling of Muslims as “terrorists” and the mocking of the starvation and killing of Palestinians in Gaza, among others

WASHINGTON: ‌Rights advocates and multiple Democrats on Tuesday condemned anti-Muslim comments by Republican US Representative Randy Fine who ​said on Sunday that “the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one.”
Fine, whose comments against Muslims have often sparked outrage, has dismissed the criticism and since doubled down on his remarks on social media. The Council on American-Islamic Relations designated the ‌Republican US ‌lawmaker from Florida as an ​anti-Muslim ‌extremist ⁠last ​year.
“If they ⁠force us to choose, the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one,” Fine said on X on Sunday in a post that had over 40 million views as of Tuesday afternoon.
Some ⁠high-profile Democrats including California Governor Gavin Newsom ‌called for him ‌to resign while House ​of Representatives Minority Leader ‌Hakeem Jeffries called Fine an “Islamophobic, disgusting and ‌unrepentant bigot.”
Jeffries also called for Republicans — who hold a majority in both chambers of Congress — to hold Fine accountable.
“To ignore this is to ‌accept and normalize it,” Democratic US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said. Fine’s past comments ⁠include ⁠calling for the mass expulsion of all Muslims from the US, labeling of Muslims as “terrorists” and the mocking of the starvation and killing of Palestinians in Gaza, among others. Rights advocates have noted a rise in Islamophobia in the US in recent years due to a range of factors including hard-line immigration policies and white-supremacist rhetoric, as ​well as the ​fallout of Israel’s war in Gaza on American society.