Israeli envoy accuses Ireland of political bias over Gaza

Israel’s ambassador to Ireland Dana Erlich. (Instagram/@danaerlich)
Short Url
Updated 08 November 2023
Follow

Israeli envoy accuses Ireland of political bias over Gaza

  • Erlich was “surprised” by the public reaction to Oct. 7 and Israel’s bombardment of Gaza

LONDON: Israel’s ambassador to Ireland has claimed that the country has failed to be politically neutral over the war in Gaza, the Independent reported.

Dana Erlich, who assumed her role less than three months ago, said she was aware of pro-Palestinian sentiment in Ireland but was “surprised” by the public reaction to the Hamas attack on Oct. 7 and Israel’s bombardment of Gaza.

The envoy said that pro-Palestine protesters in Ireland had failed to condemn Hamas or demand the release of hostages, claiming that the “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” chant was a call for Israel’s annihilation.

When asked if Ireland’s pro-Palestinian stance would allow the country could act as an intermediary to resolve the conflict, Erlich said she did not know if Ireland “wants to play that part.”

She acknowledged Ireland’s historic military neutrality, but added: “I don’t think it is politically neutral.”

The ambassador said that Ireland has become more vocal in its criticism of Israel, while also recognizing that government figures had issued “strong condemnations” of Hamas’ attack.

Erlich was speaking at the Israeli Embassy, which held a screening for news reporters showing footage of the Oct. 7 attack.

When asked if she thought the graphic clips justified Israel’s response in Gaza, Erlich said: “This is not an equation.”

Israel is trying to “get our people back” and “defend our people,” she added.

Erlich said that a “lot of questions” had been raised about the failure of Israeli intelligence to flag the attack and that a “thorough investigation” would be required in the future.

Sinn Fein and People-Before-Profit have been among the parties in Ireland calling for the ambassador to be expelled over Israel’s actions in the conflict.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said that such calls did not represent a “common sense approach.”

Varadkar had said earlier that he was pushing fellow European leaders to agree to make a united call for a humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza.

More than 10,300 Palestinians have been killed by Israel’s relentless attacks on Gaza in the past 32 days, including more than 4,100 children, according to the Gazan Health Ministry.

The Israeli siege of the territory has denied its 2.2 million residents access to basic items such as food, water, fuel and electricity.


Israel detains Al-Aqsa imam as PA warns of escalation during Ramadan

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Israel detains Al-Aqsa imam as PA warns of escalation during Ramadan

  • Israeli authorities have prohibited 250 people from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque since January
  • Knesset member Amit Halevi called for Jewish prayers at the site during Ramadan

LONDON: Israeli authorities detained Sheikh Mohammad Al-Abbasi, the imam of Al-Aqsa Mosque, from within the mosque’s courtyards as 222 settlers stormed the site on Monday.

The Palestinian Authority warned of an Israeli escalation at the Al-Aqsa compound in the walled city of occupied East Jerusalem, ahead of and during the fasting month of Ramadan, which starts this week.

The Jerusalem Governorate reported that Israeli authorities have prohibited 250 people from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque since January. This week, they prevented the Jerusalem Endowments Council from preparing for Ramadan by blocking the installation of umbrellas for sun and rain protection, and the setup of temporary clinics, according to Wafa news agency.

The governorate also condemned the visit of Israeli Knesset member Amit Halevi to Al-Aqsa Mosque on Sunday, accompanied by Israeli police. It said that Halevi’s incursion was part of a provocative tour with the “Temple Mount Administration,” amid rising Israeli calls to change the reality at Al-Aqsa Mosque and alter the historic status quo.

Halevi advocated continuing what he described as “Jewish prayers” at the site during the month of Ramadan, Wafa added.

The governorate also reported that Israeli forces issued a six-month ban on freed prisoner and Al-Aqsa Mosque guard Fadi Alyan from entering the mosque.