Philippines summons Chinese ambassador over ‘aggressive behavior’ in South China Sea

1 / 2
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., center right, listens during an emergency meeting with the defense secretary and other top military and security officials to discuss the latest incident in the disputed South China Sea on Oct. 23, 2023. (Philippine Presidential Communications Office)
2 / 2
A Chinese militia vessel, top, near Philippine coast guard vessel BRP Cabra as they approach Second Thomas Shoal, locally called Ayungin Shoal, at the disputed South China Sea on Sunday Oct. 22, 2023. (Armed Forces of the Philippines via AP)
Short Url
Updated 23 October 2023
Follow

Philippines summons Chinese ambassador over ‘aggressive behavior’ in South China Sea

  • Manila has summoned Chinese ambassador 4 times so far this year over South China Sea incidents
  • Beijing tells the Philippines to ‘stop groundlessly attacking and slandering China’

MANILA: The Philippines summoned on Monday the Chinese ambassador and said it can no longer tolerate China’s “egregious and aggressive behavior” in the disputed South China Sea after two collisions that damaged Philippine vessels over the weekend.

No one was harmed when Chinese vessels hit a Philippine Coast Guard ship and a military-run supply boat near the Second Thomas Shoal — part of the Spratly Islands off the coast of the Philippines — during a resupply mission that took place within the Philippine part of the waters, the West Philippine Sea, Philippine officials said on Sunday.

“Given the more egregious and aggressive behavior that they display … we cannot take this or tolerate this kind of action,” Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. said during a press briefing at the presidential palace in Manila.

“This is a serious escalation of the illegal activities conducted by the Chinese government in the West Philippine Sea in complete disregard of any norm or convention of international law,” he said. “Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian has been summoned today by Secretary Enrique Manalo of the Department of Foreign Affairs to condemn the reckless and illegal act of the Chinese government.”

This marks the fourth time this year that the Chinese envoy has been summoned by the Philippine government over incidents in the South China Sea, as Manila continues to lodge diplomatic protests against China’s aggression in the contested, resource-rich waterway.

Sunday’s incident was taken seriously “at the highest levels of government,” Teodoro said, adding that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has also ordered a probe into the collisions.

Beijing claims sovereignty over almost the entirety of the strategic South China Sea based on its so-called “nine-dash line” stretching over 1,500 km off its mainland and cutting into the exclusive economic zones of several countries, including the Philippines.

In 2016, an international tribunal at The Hague dismissed the expansive Chinese claim, a ruling that Beijing does not recognize as it increased activities in the area in recent years, including developing its military presence by building artificial island bases.

On multiple occasions so far this year, Philippine authorities recorded the presence of China Coast Guard vessels and ships they call “Chinese maritime militia” within Manila’s territory.

Beijing has blamed the Philippines for the collision, as it urged the Southeast Asian country on Monday to “stop making provocations at sea, stop making dangerous moves, stop groundlessly attacking and slandering China,” the Chinese Embassy in Manila said in a statement.


Afghanistan quake causes no ‘serious’ damage, injuries: official

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Afghanistan quake causes no ‘serious’ damage, injuries: official

KABUL: A 5.8-magnitude earthquake that rocked eastern Afghanistan including the capital Kabul has resulted in only minor damage and one reported injury, a disaster official told AFP on Saturday.
The quake hit on Friday just as people in the Muslim-majority country were sitting down to break their Ramadan fast.
The epicenter was near several remote villages around 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Kabul, the United States Geological Survey said.
“There aren’t any serious casualties or damages after yesterday’s earthquake,” said Mohammad Yousuf Hamad, spokesman for the National Disaster Management Authority.
He added that one person had sustained “a minor injury in Takhar,” in Afghanistan’s north, “and three houses had minor damage in Laghman” province.
Zilgay Talabi, a resident of Khenj district near the epicenter, said the tremor was “very strong, it went on for almost 30 seconds.”
Earthquakes are common in Afghanistan, particularly along the Hindu Kush mountain range, near where the Eurasian and Indian tectonic plates meet.
In August last year, a shallow 6.0-magnitude quake in the country’s east wiped out mountainside villages and killed more than 2,200 people.
Weeks later, a 6.3-magnitude quake in northern Afghanistan killed 27 people.
Large tremors in western Herat, near the Iranian border, in 2023, and in Nangarhar province in 2022, killed hundreds and destroyed thousands of homes.
Many homes in the predominantly rural country, which has been devastated by decades of war, are shoddily built.
Poor communication networks and infrastructure in mountainous Afghanistan have hampered disaster responses in the past, preventing authorities from reaching far-flung villages for hours or even days before they could assess the extent of the damage.