US Navy intercepts 3 missiles fired from Yemen ‘potentially’ at Israel: Pentagon

In this handout photo from the US Navy, the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Bataan travels through Atlantic Ocean on July 20, 2023. (AP/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 19 October 2023
Follow

US Navy intercepts 3 missiles fired from Yemen ‘potentially’ at Israel: Pentagon

  • Washington is on heightened alert for activity by Iran-backed groups as regional tensions soar during the Israel-Hamas war

WASHINGTON D.C.: A US Navy ship on Thursday shot down missiles and drones that had been fired by Houthi militia in Yemen, possibly at Israel, the Pentagon said.

Three “land-attack cruise missiles and several drones” were intercepted by a destroyer, a spokesman told reporters. The attack had been conducted from Yemen and “potentially toward targets in Israel.”

The ship, USS Carney, was patrolling in the Red Sea as part of a heavily reinforced US military presence ordered by President Joe Biden to maintain stability in the wake of war between Israel and the Hamas militant group in the Gaza Strip.

The spokesman said that missiles were fired from Yemen where the Iranian-backed Houthis are at war with a government backed by an Arab coalition.

According to the spokesman, there were no US casualties and “we cannot say for certain what these missiles were targeting, but they were launched from Yemen, heading north along the Red Sea.”

He continued: “Our defensive response was one we would have taken for any similar threat in the region, we have the capability to defend our broader interests in the region and to deter regional escalation and broader expansion of the conflict that began with Hamas’ attack on Israeli civilians.”

Biden has ordered increased air and naval assets — including dispatching two aircraft carriers — to the Middle East to guard against the Israel-Hamas war spilling over in the region.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon also ordered 2,000 personnel on standby for potential deployment.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said the deployment would allow the United States “to respond more quickly” to the crisis, while the White House stressed it did not intend to put US combat forces on the ground.

US media reported the troops being readied for deployment would cover support roles, such as medical assistance and handling explosives.

Biden flew to Israel in a dramatic show of US support this week and was due to speak from the White House later Thursday in a speech urging Congress to fund military backing for Israel and another embattled US ally — Ukraine.

Asked by journalists late Wednesday about reports that his administration had told Israel that US forces would fight alongside Israeli troops in response to any attack by the powerful Lebanese movement Hezbollah against Israel, Biden said this was “not true.”

However, he said that “our military is talking with their military about what the alternatives are” in the event of a Hezbollah attack.


Moroccan lawyers end strike after reform bill suspended: bar

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Moroccan lawyers end strike after reform bill suspended: bar

  • Moroccan lawyers had launched a rolling strike protesting the bill several weeks ago, deeming it a threat to their independence and demanding a participatory approach

RABAT: Lawyers in Morocco ended a weeks-long strike on Monday after the government suspended a bill regulating the legal sector and created a commission tasked with initiating dialogue, a professional association said.
Omar Mahmoud Bendjelloun, a board member of the Association of Moroccan Bars (ABAM), told AFP that Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch had promised on Wednesday to “personally take charge” of the bill with the cooperation of the ABAM, “putting in place a mixed commission” of officials and legal practitioners.
Justice Minister Abdellatif Ouahbi had initiated the legislation, which was presented as being intended to modernize the sector and strengthen anti-corruption measures.
The government approved the text of the bill in December, but has now put off forwarding it to the parliament for a vote as previously planned.
Moroccan lawyers had launched a rolling strike protesting the bill several weeks ago, deeming it a threat to their independence and demanding a participatory approach.
Early this month, thousands of black-robed lawyers gathered in the capital Rabat for a demonstration against the measure.
A main point of contention was the provision to grant the courts direct disciplinary power over lawyers. Normally, disciplinary matters are handled internally by the bar association.
According to Bendjelloun, the government has since taken “a step back,” opening the door for a “way out of the crisis.”
Justice Minister Ouahbi told a session of parliament earlier this month that the “matter is in your hands.”
“Let them (the lawyers) give you the changes they want and I will discuss them with you,” he said. “I am ready to drop, modify or reform anything that harms lawyers.”
But, he added, “the legal profession needs change, and I will implement that change.”