Saudi crown prince, Japanese PM discuss Gaza escalation

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman received a phone call from Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Wednesday. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 19 October 2023
Follow

Saudi crown prince, Japanese PM discuss Gaza escalation

  • The crown prince stressed importance of strengthening efforts to stop military operations and reduce escalation

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman received a phone call from Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Wednesday.

During the call, the two sides discussed the military escalation in Gaza, and the crown prince stressed that the Kingdom considers targeting civilians in Gaza as a heinous crime and a brutal attack, Saudi Press Agency reported.

Israel sealed off the Gaza Strip, stopping all entry of food, water, medicine, and fuel to its 2.3 million people following the Hamas attack on Oct. 7.

Prince Mohammed bin Salman stressed the need to work to provide their protection.

The crown prince also stressed the importance of strengthening efforts to stop military operations and reduce escalation to avoid its dangerous repercussions on regional and global security, peace and stability.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.