PCB says most Pakistani players have ‘fully recovered’ from fever

Pakistan's Shaheen Shah Afridi (3L) celebrates with teammates after taking the wicket of India's captain Rohit Sharma during the 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup one-day international (ODI) match between India and Pakistan at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on October 14, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2023
Follow

PCB says most Pakistani players have ‘fully recovered’ from fever

  • Local media reported Shaheen Shah Afridi, Usama Mir and Abdullah Shafique were suffering from viral infection
  • Pakistan, who have won two out of their three World Cup matches so far, will face Australia on Friday in Bengaluru

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Tuesday clarified that most members of the World Cup cricket squad who were suffering from a fever had “fully recovered,” days before Babar Azam’s side meets Australia in a key clash of the tournament. 

Local media widely reported on Monday that key Pakistani players Shaheen Shah Afridi, Abdullah Shafique and Usama Mir were suffering from fever and a viral chest infection.

“Some players got fever in the past few days and most of them have fully recovered from it,” the PCB said in a statement. “Those who are in the stage of recovery remain under the team medical panel’s observation.”

The green shirts, who lost their World Cup clash against India on Saturday, face five-time World Cup winners Australia on Friday in Bengaluru.

Afridi, who leads Pakistan’s pace attack, has remained unimpressive in the three matches he has played so far, conceding 139 runs and taking only four wickets. 

Meanwhile, Shafique hit an impressive century against Sri Lanka on Oct. 11 while Mir is yet to play a World Cup match this year. 

With two wins and a loss so far, Pakistan are placed at number four in the World Cup rankings table. They face a resurgent Australia, who were beaten in their first two games against India and South Africa but managed to defeat Sri Lanka by five wickets on Monday. 


Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

Updated 59 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Two killed in suicide blast targeting security forces in Pakistan’s northwest

  • Multiple people were injured in the attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province
  • It comes days after militants rammed explosive-laden vehicle into checkpost, killing 12 people

ISLAMABAD: Two security personnel, including an officer, were killed, while multiple others sustained injuries when a suicide blast targeted their vehicle in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, a police official said.

The suicide bomber hit his explosive-laden motorbike into an armored vehicle of security forces in Sara Darga area of KP’s Bannu district, according to a local police official who requested anonymity.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), have carried out similar assaults in the region in past.

“The attack had damaged the armored vehicle, causing deaths and injuries,” he told Arab News, adding that they suspected the Pakistani Taliban to be behind the attack.

Pakistan has struggled to contain a surge in militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, in recent years, with militant groups, particularly the TTP, frequently targeting security forces, law enforcers and government officials in the region.

Earlier this week, Pakistani Taliban militants rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a checkpost jointly manned by security forces and law enforcement agencies in KP’s Bajaur district, killing 11 security personnel among 12 people, the Pakistani military’s media wing said.

Islamabad accuses Afghanistan of allowing the use of its soil and India of backing militant groups for cross-border attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi deny this.